UNT SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
The UNT Special Collections department is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking University Archivist to create, preserve and promote university history. UNT has a rich 129 year history already well documented in Special Collections. This position will join five other faculty librarians and six full-time staff members in the Special Collections department. UNT Special Collections contains over 600 archival collections including a large LGBTQ archive, the archive of the first television news station in Texas, and many other significant collections.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The University Archivist will work directly university departments, university organizations, students, faculty members, alumni and community members to preserve and make accessible the history of the UNT. The University Archive collects broadly to encompass the educational, social and cultural history of UNT and surrounding community. The University Archivist will be responsible for the collection of both physical and digital archival materials, as well as for the description and preservation of University Archive collections. The University Archivist will encourage use of the Keeper App to facilitate the collection of digital archival materials, and will seek innovative ways to continue to build collections that documents the rich history of UNT. The University Archivist will seek to form beneficial cooperative relationships with archivists at other UNT System campuses. The University Archivist will supervise one full-time staff member and may supervise one or more student assistants. This is an entry level position.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect appropriate materials in both physical and digital formats to add to the University Archive collections.
- Oversee archival and digital curation of University Archive collections, including arrangement, description and preservation activities.
- Responds to requests for information relevant to the University Archive, and seek to promote the use of University Archives through creations of guides and collection descriptions.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures for the transfer or donation of archival materials.
- Represent the University Archive in public events such as tours, class visits, instructional sessions and special events.
- Serve as liaison for the UNT Denton Campus in meeting with other UNT system archivists
- Supervise and direct the activities of one full time staff member.
- Work with the External Relations department to create and maintain promotional materials for the department.
- Perform other duties in support of Special Collections’ main functions, as required.
- Master’s degree in Library Science, Archival Science, History or a related field.
- Training or coursework in archival methods for the preservation and maintenance of digital and physical archival records.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.