Program Specialist, Custom Programs (4168U) 28616
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier's office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 31, 2021
The Program Specialist is an essential member of the Custom Programs team. The team creates and implements some of the world's most advanced customized programs for partners around the globe, including universities, professional associations, organizations and corporations and organizes all sorts of events included in those Programs. The Program Specialist uses skills as a seasoned, experienced public educational program professional to resolve a wide range of educational program issues and needs assessments. Works on complex public educational programs of diverse scope. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for delivering courses, presentations and development programs. Receives general instructions and exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques for course and instructional improvement.
- Manages own and others special program events. Represents Berkeley Extension at all functions and events for the program. Organizes and coordinates program specific events, such as panel events, networking events, pitch events, company visits, information sessions, and departmental program extracurricular activities/workshops/cohort lunches.
- Supports the recruitment, selection and orientation of qualified course and program instructors. Works with program manager to identify potential instructors; coordinates instructor interviews and materials required for academic approval and instructor hiring and onboarding.
- Coordinates contracts and instructor agreements for instructors, course developers or special instructors. Provides front line support to instructors on academic and administrative policies, student issues.
- Plans and schedules course offerings, identifies course topics. Works with staff in Extension and outside organizations to ensure smooth operation of courses and programs. Initiates course scheduling for a portfolio of classes. Provides administrative and logistical support to the department's programs and meetings. Establishes and maintains files for courses and instructors.
- Ensures that online and in print course information is up-to-date, correcting copy as necessary. Monitors enrollments. Works with program manager and director to adjust schedules if needed. Cancels courses as necessary.
- Support planning and implementation of existing and new programs and curriculum, and adjusts existing courses and curriculum in a continuing education environment. Works with program managers, directors and instructors to secure academic approval for courses submitted to COCI (Committee of Courses on Instruction), supports the instructor hiring process and proactively and independently tracks, troubleshoots, and resolves issues as needed.
- Actively participates in long-range strategic planning for public educational programs. Responsible for keeping program application and enrollment data up to date and putting together metrics that are comparable across each term for optimal mid to long term planning for student enrollment growth.
- Participates in developing strategic market plans and target audiences. Coordinates and actively supports the promotion and communication of events and programs in collaboration with program manager and director, as well as marketing services.
- Coordinates course curriculum through student / participant evaluations and level of interest shown.
- Tracks student performance, enrollment data and recommends program schedules to program managers and directors. Prepares comprehensive analysis reports based on evaluations and student feedback. Recommends changes to program curriculum or implementation processes based on student feedback.
- Develops, prepares and reconciles budget for program. Ensures that instructors have met all contractual agreements prior to the issuance of payment. Processes expense reimbursements.
- Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering programs.
- Thorough skills to conduct needs assessment and development of new presentations / courses to meet organizational needs
- Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
- Thorough knowledge of organization policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
- Knowledge of managing a portfolio of business and management courses at the university or corporate level.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
We are hiring for 2 full-time, 2-year contract positions.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=28616&PostingSeq=1