Business Office Assistant (4627U) 23901
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 27, 2021
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Business Office Assistant.
The Business Office Assistant position will assist in the processing of all Athletics' procurement requests, reconciliation of the Department's corporate card statements and preparing travel and entertainment reimbursements. The Business Office Assistant will develop skills in navigating the purchasing and reimbursement request process as well as learn about and help to enforce cost containment strategies, aid coaches and staff in maintaining their operating budgets, and reconcile all expenses and invoices associated with business travel & entertainment.
- Review all Athletics' procurement requests - confirms requisition information is accurate, complete and complies with policy and funding requirements. Submits to Campus, and follow up to answer questions and get additional information if needed.
- Review all Athletics' travel and entertainment reimbursement requests - verify receipts submitted, obtain necessary signatures, attach receipts, photocopy, submit to Campus, and follow up to answer questions and get additional information, if needed.
- Aid in monthly corporate card reconciliation process, including reviewing all transactions, verifying all receipts are turned in, obtaining any additional documentation or approvals, and conducting follow-up as needed.
- Learn and enforce proper purchasing and travel & entertainment policies.
- Assist with monitoring the return and reporting of advances in compliance with NCAA, Pac-12, Department, and UC policy.
- Maintain accurate records/files of all reimbursement requests, corporate card receipts and purchase requests.
- Communicate effectively with department staff, outside vendors, and other units on Campus to solicit required information.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Excellent computer skills. Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-motivated to work effectively and efficiently.
- High level of confidentiality.
- The ability to problem solve, multi-task, handle and prioritize a heavy workload, and perform under pressure.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Completed Bachelor's degree or fulfilling final credits required to complete Bachelor's degree.
- Master's degree candidate preferred.
- Understanding of procurement request software and requisition workflow.
- Working knowledge of financial processes, policies, and procedures.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 1-year contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=23901&PostingSeq=1