Comparative Medicine Services (CMS) provides facilities, services, and information to facilitate effective research using laboratory animals at Tufts University and Tufts Medical Center (TMC) in Boston, Tufts University in Medford, and industry and academic research laboratories. CMS is also obligated to ensure that animal care procedures and animal experimentation comply with federal, state, and local regulations. The management and operation of the animal care activities of all sites are integral to the animal care and use program. All centralized facilities are located within a 2-block radius, either in Boston or Medford.
What You'll Do
The Preclinical Services Animal Care Technician is responsible for performing daily health checks of animals, administering medications, enrichment, exercise, and socialization of non-rodent animal models. The Animal Care Technician will perform or assist in both pre- and post-procedural care for non-rodent models. The Animal Care Technician will assist in inventory, ordering supplies, restocking, and other on-going tasks. The Animal Care Technician will follow the procedures and guidelines approved by these institutions.
What We're Looking For
- HS Diploma or equivalent and 0-2 years Veterinary Technician or laboratory animal medicine experience.
- AALAS certifications recommended and technician will be required to achieve Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) certification within 3 years of employment.
- The ideal candidate would have an AALAS certification.
- Able to perform the following techniques in large animals: PO, SQ, ID, IM, IP dosing.
- Candidate would demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate animal health issues, compliance issues, training, facility issues, etc. in a professional collegial manner with members of the investigative and Tufts CMS staff.
- This individual would be detail oriented and have superb organizational skills.
- Candidate would demonstrate good work habits and show flexibility and initiative.
Minimum $19.80, Midpoint $23.55, Maximum $27.30
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.