Provides equipment management and utility services in support a full range of athletic programs, physical education, and training. Maintains sports equipment inventory, locker rooms, sports courts, and related facilities in safe and clean status. Ensures cleanliness and workability of equipment, uniforms, clothing, and supplies.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Athletic Equipment Manager is the second and senior-level in a career path supporting physical education and athletic programs. The Athletic Equipment Manager requires competency in the fitting, care, and repair of athletic equipment for a full range of sports as well as a demonstrated ability to maintain inventory, to set up apparatus, and to assure cleanliness and security of locker, gymnasium, and related facilities and venues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Inspects, issues, and fits protective and injury prevention equipment to student athletes in compliance with manufacturer, intercollegiate, and District policies and specifications.
* Prepares equipment and set up for physical education and athletic events. Determines needs, gathers equipment, assures working order, and sets up on-location according to faculty or coach instructions.
* Sets up apparatus for sports venues and contests. Tests apparatus for working condition and safety. Loads and unloads equipment and supplies for off-site athletic events. Assists with setup and inspection of electronic timing and scoring apparatus.
* Makes repairs and modifications to athletic equipment, apparatus, and uniforms. Applies manufacturers' specifications and conditions when making repairs.
* Maintains and provides security for locker rooms, showers, restrooms, offices and other assigned areas in a clean and sanitary condition. Sweeps and mops floors, cleans mirrors and washes basins.
* Cleans and disinfects locker room walking and other surfaces. Performs other custodial maintenance duties as needed.
* Maintains training areas. Ensures that facilities are locked securely when assigned schedule is completed.
* Checks out equipment to students, staff and athletic participants. Issues towels, PE clothing, athletic game gear and equipment. Washes and re-issues laundry. Keeps appropriate records and notifies coaches and instructors of students have received.
* Receives and verifies shipments of equipment and supplies. Maintains and documents levels and conducts periodic inventory of equipment and supplies. Determines equipment and supply needs based on established standards and recommends purchases.
* May assist coaches with support in areas such as preparing class lists and team rosters, locating student information, receiving and processing forms, etc.
* May oversee and/or coordinate student help for oversight of training rooms during open times for student use and scheduled times for athletic teams.
* Maintains, repairs, and replaces sports equipment and apparatus. Orders equipment from established vendors.
* May drive a van to take student athletes to athletic venues.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.