Landscape/Grounds Supervisor (7990U), Facilities Services - 1975
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 18, 2019
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
- Closely oversees day to day activities of landscape/groundskeeping employees with an emphasis on hands on education in best horticultural & arboricultural practices especially pertaining to deferred maintenance
- Plans, organizes and directs routine landscape/groundskeeping operations & new landscape practice.
- Oversee/Coordinate with outside contractors that provide landscape services.
- Trains and supervises the landscape/groundskeeping staff to maintain an orderly, safe, and efficient grounds operation.
- Train and assist Grounds Staff on use of Maximo and handheld devices.
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment and other landscape/groundskeeping tools.
- Ensures safety, hazardous materials and landscape/groundskeeping policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Enforces bio hazardous materials and equipment policies and procedures.
- Maintains proper inventory needs and purchase inventory.
- Responsible for performance management.
- Maintains scheduling within prescribed budgetary guidelines.
- May assist with budget planning and maintenance and provide input on landscape design.
- May be responsible for coordinating programs (water abatement, weed abatement & irrigation) with various municipalities such as East Bay MUD, East Bay Regional Parks, PG&E and City of Berkeley
- Other duties as assigned
- Working knowledge in landscape/groundskeeping services.
- Working verbal and written communication skills in the English language, including active listening, flexibility, critical thinking, and the ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
- Working decision making and reasoning skills, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems and conduct operations analysis and quality control analysis.
- Working, effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
- Review design of landscape in planning stage.
- Solid computer applications skills. Ability to learn Maximo
- Experience in a unionized environment in a lead or management role preferred.
- Strong horticultural background (includes Plants & pest identification, plant diseases, knowledge of hydrology zones, etc,
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time in all different weather conditions.
- Able to frequently bend/crouch
- Able to frequently climb stairs/hillsides and walk on uneven ground and plant landscapes
- Bloodborne pathogen and sharps disposal training.
- 5 years of experience and lead or project lead
- 10 years in field of Horticulture or Arboriculture.
Licenses or certifications:
- Landscape Contractor Certification
- Degree in Landscape/ Horticulture
- High school diploma or equivalent certification.
- Academic prep in horticulture.
- ISA Certified Arborist
Salary & Benefits
Salary range: $55,100 to $84,000, annually.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1975&PostingSeq=1