Lead Food Service Worker, Retail (5452C)
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 12, 2019
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Our service philosophy is centered around three key principles:
1.) Flavor & Variety - We are committed to providing great tasting food for every palate. Our award winning program features a wide-variety of seasonal menus and ethnic specialties. We've partnered with top chefs and restaurateurs to bring quality offerings to our locations.
2.) Health & Wellness - As leaders in providing healthier-for-you foods, we transitioned to natural, organic and trans-fat free food products and are 99.9% free of partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) in over 4,000 products.
3.) Social Responsibility - We continually strive to do everything possible to minimize our environmental footprint. As a responsible neighbor, we are dedicated to supporting the Cal community, expanding our ecological efforts and encouraging our customers to do the same.
The Cal Dining team aims to be responsive by listening to our customers and responding to each and every customer comment. We demonstrate our commitment to responsibility by being the best possible stewards of our customer's financial resources. We strive to provide best-in-class service, all while upholding the values of the UC Berkeley community.
- Responsible for merchandizing and replenishing products on display and in display cases in an attractive manner.
- Train and direct service staff in food preparation and customer service standards.
- Set-up, prepare, replenish, and distribute beverages, food and non-food products in designated areas to ensure availability in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Assemble and prepare food products and beverages to support service and menu production, in adherence to Cal Dining service and production standards following standard HACCP principles of food preparation, safety, and sanitation in food production and service.
- Store leftover items following standards for safe food handling.
- Maintain inventory control.
- Assist in monthly inventories of all products.
- Complete production information as required per location.
- Track and record food waste and any donations.
- Assign cashiers to various areas to meet customer demand, issue change, and cover breaks during a work shift.
- Accurately operate the electronic point-of-sale (cash register), including: count customers' change, provide receipts, correctly process on-line card transactions, ask supervisor for change in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Support cashiering assignments, as required.
- May need to open or close restaurant in manager's absence.
- As a team leader, demonstrate high level of customer service including: greet/direct customers, assist disabled students, distribute/collect Comment Cards, answer general
informational questions (e.g. meal service and meal plan options, meal hours, guest pricing, etc.).
- Work closely with managers, supervisors and co-workers to effectively achieve the goals and objectives of the University and Cal Dining.
- Ensure all operational areas are clean and organized in a timely manner to meet customer demand.
- Knowledgeable about food being served, including allergens, ingredients, etc.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
Health and Safety Standards
- Ensure the cleanliness, safety, and sanitation of designated storage, work and service areas, large and small equipment and utensils used in food production.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness, sanitation and overall appearance of the operation: sweep, mop, wipe, wash, empty trash and pick up debris.
- Remove and properly dispose of trash, compost, and recyclable materials.
- Food preparation experience.
- Customer service experience.
- Demonstrated ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English and follow oral/written instructions.
- Must be able to life and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate and maintain restaurant food service equipment.
- Experience in a retail food service environment.
Salary & Benefits
- Large volume food service experience.
- Cash handling experience in a retail environment.
- Inventory management.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification.
Salary is set at step 1: $17.07 per hour
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a partial year career position with a furlough.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27199&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1