Shift: Sunday - Thursday; 3:30pm - 11:30pm
The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the efficient and cost effective operations, maintenance and management of all Tufts University facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space on threecampuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, and Boston).
A broad range of services are provided to support the University campuses including: facility maintenance by all trades, capital maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work control, time capture, preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, residential facilities coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment and tracking. Facilities Services plays a critical role in planning for the $30M/year deferred maintenance investment.
Related functions, which require close coordination with this department, are public and environmental health and safety, planning, design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects including major repairs, renovation and new construction.
What You'll Do
Reporting to facilities management, the Plumber I is responsible for all aspects of installation, maintenance, inspection, operation and repair of plumbing systems and will have extensive experience and knowledge with water, sewer, venting, medical and vacuum gas systems.
- Must have experience installing, troubleshooting, and servicing water filtering and humidification systems.
- The Plumber reads blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing systems, water supply networks and waste and drainage systems.
- The Plumber will then plan, install and service plumbing systems, fixtures, piping equipment and controls.
- This position performs similar or related duties as required. This position is considered essential as defined in the Tufts University Employee Handbook.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of 7+ years of relevant experience as a plumber and at least five current years working in the field.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid US Driver’s license.
- Valid Massachusetts Journeyman Plumbers License.
- Must be able to read and comprehend complex blueprints.
- Must have working knowledge of computers in a Windows environment and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems.
- Must have good oral and written communications skills with the ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Must possess solid time management and organizational skills, work well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks effectively prioritizing competing requirements.
- Must be able to work professionally and tactfully with fellow employees, faculty, students and staff; deal with difficult people and / or stressful scenarios.
- Must Maintain a professional appearance at all times and adhere to the University’s uniform policy.
- Must be physically able to meet all job requirements.
- Solid time management skills including the ability to multi-task, tactfully deal with unforeseen challenges and people and work well in a team setting with other technicians and trades professionals.
- Basic proficiency in the use of CMMS systems and technology.
- Required to work indoors and outdoors in potentially cramped space, during inclement weather year round.
- Associates degree or higher in relevant field.
- Certified pool and spa operator certification.
- Valid Massachusetts Masters Plumbers License.
- Massachusetts Journeyman Pipe Fitters License.
- Massachusetts Waste Water Treatment Certification, and/or Massachusetts. Journeyman Sprinkler License.
- Proficiency in the use Maximo CMMS system.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Flexibility in work schedule required due to campus related emergencies, events occurring nights and weekends and special events such as matriculation and commencement.
Join Tufts University today to take advantage of our wonderful benefits package. In addition to various health, dental, and vision plans, employees enjoy generous time off, tuition remission, retirement plans with strong contributions, life insurance, long term disability, commuter benefits, and many other perks and discounts!
The pay rate for this position is $46.18 / hour.