Business Systems Analyst, Berkeley Financial System (7583U, 7584U)
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 16, 2019
The Controller's Office provides oversight of various University financial services including financial accounting and controls, accounts receivable, accounts payable, contracts and grants accounting, and payroll. The Controller's Office also provides analyst support for the PeopleSoft Financials system which consists of the General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Commitment Control, Accounts Receivable, Billing, Contracts, Grants and Project Costing modules.
The Business Systems Analyst position involves analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; designing details of automated systems; developing user interface design; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. The role may lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
At the 2 level:
- Applies professional concepts to formulate and define systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding.
- Analyzes business problems to create specifications for systems to meet user and business requirements.
- Gathers, analyzes and documents requirements and revises existing system logic issues.
- Applies professional concepts to design details of automated systems.
- Develops basic user interface designs.
- Under general supervision, executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
- May participate in cross-functional teams to solve business or systems issues.
- Provides user support on new applications.
At the 3 level:
- Applies technical expertise and business analysis concepts to identify, evaluate and define complex systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements
- Provides technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing complex systems and procedures.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary.
- Creates complex specifications for systems to meet user requirements.
- Applies business systems concepts to design details of complex automated systems.
- Develops complex user interface designs.
- Plans and executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
- Guides and advises less-experienced Business Systems Analysts.
- Provides user support and training on new applications.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or management information systems and/or equivalent experience/training
At the 2 level:
- Minimum of two (2) years of PeopleSoft 9.2 FSCM functional experience.
- Moderate skills associated with analysis of processes, problems and information flow.
- Ability to consistently think analytically and use independent judgment.
- Good organizational skills.
- Intermediate interpersonal and communications skills including intermediate writing skills in order to work with technical and nontechnical personnel at various levels of the organization.
- Some knowledge of one or more of the following PeopleSoft Modules: Accounts Receivable, Billing, eBill, Contracts, Grants and Project Costing modules.
At the 3 level:
- Minimum four (4) years of PeopleSoft FSCM functional implementation or upgrade experience required. At least one (1) year of experience with version 9.2 preferred.
- Requires intermediate knowledge of business analysis function including business process mapping and PeopleSoft program design.
- Requires strong knowledge of related modules or systems.
- In depth knowledge of contracts and grants processes and procedures strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to think analytically and use independent judgement.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including strong writing skills. Has demonstrated strong ability to communicate systems issues to non-technical staff.
- Strong knowledge of applicable industry standards and best practices for business analysts at all stages of the implementation life cycle required.
- Good knowledge of accounting practices and principles required.
- At least three (3) years experience using creativity and initiative to analyze and solve problems of diverse scope.
- At least three (3) years of experience with project management practices, principles, techniques and tools. Some experience with the Agile methodology preferred.
- Strong knowledge of PeopleSoft Query tool and PeopleSoft Financials table structure required.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following PeopleSoft Modules: General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Billing, eBill, Security, Budget, Contracts, Grants and Project Costing modules and/or strong knowledge of PeopleSoft Accounts Receivable and Billing modules with at least 2 years of experience supporting these modules.
- Experience with system conversions, implementing customizations and system interfaces preferred.
- Develop ability to teach and train others.
- Assist less experienced BSA's
At the 2 level:
Salary & Benefits
- Some knowledge of PeopleSoft Query tool and PeopleSoft Financials table structure.
- Some experience with project management practices, principles, techniques and tools using either the Agile or Waterfall methodologies.
- Experience using creativity and initiative to analyze and solve problems of diverse scope.
- Some knowledge of applicable industry standards and best practices for business analysts at all stages of the implementation cycle.
- Working knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Some knowledge of contracts and grants processes and procedures.
- Knowledge relating to the design of applications programs.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26775&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1