This position will be responsible for managing the Fire Extinguisher program for the University as Buffalo campuses and off-campus facilities. This will include overseeing the installation, inspection and replacement of portable fire extinguishers in university facilities. Conducting training classes in the proper selection and use or portable fire extinguishers. Evaluate fire extinguisher locations according to NFPA Standards and the Fire Code of New York State. Oversee the emergency lighting inspection contractor and report deficiencies to Facilities Operations for repair. This position will also be responsible for continuous inspection of University facilities and reporting of safety-related issues for correction.
Key duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Management of the University’s Fire Extinguisher program
- Assistance with emergency evacuation planning
- Participate in and assist with various other safety programs
- Provide emergency response – must be able to respond to emergencies outside of normal business hours
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
.About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Associate’s degree with 2 years’ experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for the degree.
- Documented training in the inspection and repair of portable fire extinguishers preferred.
- Certification as a New York Code Enforcement Officer is desirable.
- Experience in an academic, research or government environment is preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills and good interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Creative problem solving skills are desirable.
- The ability to use Microsoft Office tools, word, excel and access programs is highly desired
Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including respirators and a self-contained breathing apparatus. Must be able to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. Requires extensive walking, bending and lifting.