Assistant Director, Athletic Communications (7462U) - 27347 - 1178
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 14, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking an Assistant Director, Athletics Communications.
The Cal Athletic Department is seeking to fill an Athletic Communications position with a highly motivated and team-oriented individual who will oversee publicity efforts for assigned sports programs, subject to change each year. Knowledge of rugby is preferred. Successful candidates must have the ability to be strong storytellers and produce quality communications content, including feature stories and news releases, for a variety of audiences and platforms (print, web, social media, video) consistent with department and university mission and goals. Persons in these positions will also develop and implement annual media plans; manage sport-specific social media accounts; arrange and conduct interviews; develop and maintain strong working relationships with local and national media; maintain and compile records and statistics; act as team historian; facilitate requests from media, such as for news stories, features and live broadcasts; and handle other duties as assigned.
- Providing day-to-day operational support in the Cal Athletics Communications office.
- Responsible for specific programs/teams, as assigned.
- Produce feature stories on student-athletes for CalBears.com, game programs, and other media.
- Manage team-specific social media, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Write game recaps and other news releases for assigned teams.
- Help produce video content featuring on Cal student-athletes.
- Support live television broadcasts.
- Assist with publication of information guides and game programs.
- Staff and provide gameday coverage for sports as needed throughout the year.
- Maintain and research historical records.
- Coordinate and manage media interviews as assigned.
- Previous experience in athletic communications/media relations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible, fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Familiarity with appropriate software (Microsoft Word, Adobe Creative Suite).
- Understanding of the strategic use of social media related to promoting teams and Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Working knowledge of concepts and principles of news, media communications, and media relations.
- Previous experience using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to provide social media coverage for an athletics team.
- Must be flexible to travel with assigned teams as required and work non-traditional hours.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pac-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Minimum of three years previous experience working in athletic media relations office.
- Working knowledge of the campus and Intercollegiate Athletics, including achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives, programs and infrastructure.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1178&PostingSeq=1