Stevens Institute of Technology seeks a Counselor for the Office of Student Accounts. The Counselor, under the supervision of the Director of Student Accounts, provides the highest level of customer service while working with students and parents to answer inquiries regarding their financial status. The Counselor ensures compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations and policies while maintaining student account records with accuracy. The Counselor works to support the overall goals and mission of Student Accounts and Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Assist students who are in financial stress by understanding the unique student needs and utilizing the available Student Accounts payment options students and if needed institutional resources.
- Manage third party billing for sponsored students, ensuring accurate accounting by working with both students and sponsors.
- Understand the billing deliveries and manage collections by the due dates for all specialized (corporate and other cohort) programs.
- Participate in the Student Accounts collection efforts for past due account receivables.
- Distribute refunds to students and parent borrowers in compliance with Federal and Department of Education Regulations.
- Provide coverage for Student Account Coordinators on phone and at the front desks as needed.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulations, policies and applicable requirements related to Student Accounts and Stevens including Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Title IV.
- Safeguard assets and contribute to the sound internal control environment.
- Attend trainings related to professional development and compliance to maintain accurate and up to date information on best practices, policies and procedures
- Attend campus events as a representative of the Office of Student Accounts.
- Ensures accuracy and quality customer service is maintained in all aspects of responsibilities.
- Evening and occasional weekend hours are required.
- Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned by the Director and Associate Director of Student Accounts and as needed by Stevens.
Required: Bachelor’s degree or 5 years of experience in higher education, accounting or a related experience is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be a team player with a demonstrated interpersonal skill with the ability to deal with challenging situations in a diplomatic and calm manner, maintaining a customer service orientation at all times.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Experience with a student ERP Systems is a plus.
- The individual must be an analytical, detail oriented, highly motivated, independent thinker who possesses excellent communication skills (oral, written and listening).
- Experience in higher education administration is required, and experienced in Bursar, Financial Aid, and or Registrar departments is preferred.
- Bilingual skills are a plus
Founded in 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology, The Innovation University™, lives at the intersection of industry, academics and research. Students, faculty and partners collaborate in an academic culture of innovation, research and entrepreneurship to develop, implement and leverage technology to confront global challenges. Based in Hoboken, N.J., Stevens offers degrees in engineering, the sciences, management, business, humanities and the arts. Stevens has been recognized by both the U.S. Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Excellence in systems engineering and port security research. The University has more than 6,100 undergraduate and graduate students with more than 350 faculty. Stevens’ programs have attracted international participation and strategic partnerships with industry leaders, governments and other universities around the world.
Office of Student Accounts
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.