Business Development Manager (7556U) 5686
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 22, 2020.
University Business Partnerships & Services
(UBPS) builds meaningful, universitywide relationships with business partners by collaborating across units to create partnership opportunities that align with Berkeley's values and mission of teaching, research, and public service. Our collaborative, coordinated approach provides the infrastructure to develop comprehensive, universitywide relationships with business partners through our four guiding principles: Brand Alignment, Priority Services, Campus Impact and Revenue Growth.
In an effort to further support the campus, UBPS is launching a Partnership Services
consulting arm, and is in need of a Business Development Manager who will lead the engagement and sales efforts. Specifically, this position will guide departments in identifying sponsorship opportunities and securing external sponsors.
- Develops and implements engagement strategies and materials designed to promote opportunities to potential sponsors, at times in collaboration with the UBPS team.
- Researches, analyzes, monitors and evaluates sales efforts for effectiveness, reporting results to appropriate higher levels of administration.
- Meets with campus stakeholders to identify sponsorship opportunities and advise on valuation and packaging.
- Builds relationships with outside (non-campus affiliated) companies and organizations who align with and support the university's mission of teaching, research and public service, and whose partnership could meet UBPS' Guiding Principles.
- Manages a CRM database for Partnership Services which tracks current and potential sponsors and their interests as well as internal stakeholders and their opportunities.
- Contacts new and existing customers to discuss their needs, and to explain how these needs could be met by specific products and services. Provides detailed information to prospective clients about the organization's products and services, pricing options, promotional opportunities, and other aspects of the products/services.
- Regularly communicates with University Development and Alumni Relations to ensure potential sponsorships do not conflict with any donor relations or fundraising efforts.
- Thorough knowledge of the campus, including its achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives and infrastructure or demonstrated ability to learn.
- Thorough knowledge of the campus' products and services or demonstrated ability to learn.
- Thorough analytical and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of sponsorships in higher education, non-profits, and/or cultural institutions.
- Thorough knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Strong interpersonal communication and political acumen skills.
- Experience successfully soliciting sponsorships.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- An existing network of potential sponsors is a plus.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5686&PostingSeq=1