HR Generalist 2 (7595U), BEST Service Region 2327 - 2327
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 7, 2019
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Welcome to the BEST Region!
BEST serves the College of Natural Resources, the Division of Biological Sciences, and related ORUs, museums, and field stations in the biological sciences. We are extremely proud of the team we have put together and are working hard to provide faculty, staff, and students in our region with expert advice and reliable support services that foster academic and professional success.
Our aim is to build an administrative support team that is 100% committed to you. Over time, BEST team members are determined to become familiar with the unique issues, terminology, funders, sponsors, vendors, and circumstances in the biological sciences that will enable us to provide service that you'll find responsive, meaningful, and relevant.
Academic Appointment and Recruitment Management:
- Applies knowledge of University policies and procedures to counsel department managers, employees and supervisors on employee and labor policies, procedures, and appropriate practices.
- Advises Faculty and Managers and communicates with foreign appointees regarding visa acquisition.
- Makes recommendations regarding visa type and timelines.
- Assists in the preparation of non-senate academic merit and promotion cases.
- Processes faculty summer salary.
- Assists in the coordination of Visiting Scholar, Postdoctoral Researcher, Visiting Student Researcher appointments.
- Serves as primary contact for academic recruitments.
- Posts positions in AP Search, AP Recruit and other academic job sites.
- Communicates with requestors and advises when applications are available for review.
- Occasionally reviews resumes and applications and serves on interview panels for a full range of academic positions. .
Onboarding and Benefits Coordination/Liaison:
- Manage the overall appointment process of Graduate Student Researchers (GSR), Student Assistant positions, and Training Grant Appointments, including initiation of recruitment, hire, rehire, transfer, and termination actions.
- Serve as the liaison for personnel matters with the Student Affairs Officers, Graduate Division, International Scholar's Office, Student Placement, Work-Study Office, Human Resources and Payroll Office.
- Provide tax guidance to foreign employees using GLACIER tax reporting system.
- Handle GSR fellowships, stipends and fee remission eligibility and monitor when applicable.
- Examine work-study funding and notify unit managers and supervisors of depleting work-study funds.
- Provides comprehensive onboarding to new hires, rehires and transfers.
- May provide analyses for human resources issues that are intermediate in scope involving employee benefits.
- May develop the content of benefits orientation and conducts regular sessions when required.
- Provides benefits counseling to employees and serves as a liaison with the Benefits Office.
- Ensures all BELI codes are in compliance and reviews page center reports monthly, following up with all newly eligible employees.
Records Management and Special Projects:
- Assist Generalists with Family Medical leave and Worker's Compensation document preparation and mailings.
- Maintains leave and disability tracking roster.
- Submit injury reports.
- Handles highly sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively.
- Manages CSS Records including personnel and medical files and ensures completeness and accuracy of all files. Follows up to obtain completed documents when required
- Responds to requests for records and coordinates personnel file reviews.
- Provides project support for managers and HR Generalist 3 and 4 staff
- Conducts HR trends analyses and helps develop resulting recommendations.
- Coordinates HR processes within the unit and looks for creative possibilities for continuous improvement of day-to-day operations.
- Runs reports for clients upon request.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service in high volume, fast-paced, professional environment.
- Has working knowledge of various areas of HR.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of basic relevant union/labor contracts.
- Analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working in a Talent Acquisition System and HRIS systems such as Peoplesoft or Oracle.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Possess a high degree of political acumen and awareness.
- Proven experience exercising strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Must possess ability to work rapidly and accurately with pressure of competing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Must be able to lift 15-20 pounds.
- Experience with common on-line systems including various HR systems.
- Knowledge of Filemaker and Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and Word.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2327&PostingSeq=1