Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Event Planner (6292U), Berkeley Law 21384
University of California, Berkeley
Event Planner (6292U), Berkeley Law 21384
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 9, 2021
Berkeley Law is consistently ranked as one of the top law schools in the nation. The law school has produced leaders in law, government, and society, including Chief Justice of the United States Earl Warren, Secretary of State of the United States Dean Rusk, Attorney General of the United States Edwin Meese, United States Secretary of the Treasury and Chairman of the Federal Reserve G. William Miller, and former Solicitor General of the United States Theodore Olson.
At Berkeley Law, we are committed to excellence in education and scholarship, as well as equality of opportunity. We believe we have a responsibility to use our substantial intellectual capital to help solve real-world problems and to create a more just society through clinics, research, and policy engagement. We believe that a Berkeley Law degree is a tool for change, both locally and globally, and that we should be educating the leaders of tomorrow. We maintain an environment that nurtures academic and personal growth, respects a diversity of ideas, and stimulates independent thought and critical reasoning.
This position involves the development, design, planning and organizing of event activities, both off-and on-site, including managing logistics such as facilities, tickets, audience management activities, concessionaires, caterers, and vendors, travel logistics, and facilitation of communication and services with speakers and facility maintenance staff; or provides technical support of these activities. In addition, this role also has outward facing duties, as s/he may engage with alumni and distinguished guests. The Event Planner must be able to navigate not only the logistical requirements of event planning (and working with event vendors), but must also exhibit finesse and flexibility in working with our alumni (who are also our valued donor base) as well as current faculty, students and staff.
- Consults with clients (including alumni center staff, Berkeley Law students, faculty and donors) to conceptualize events and discuss all details regarding events and event planning, demonstrating good judgment, a focus on customer service, and ability to prioritize when making decisions and managing events which affect the school as a whole and its specialized communities. The incumbent will manage events in accordance with UC and campus policies.
- Develops, designs, and implements a wide range of specialized activities connected with events, including alumni engagement, continuing education, fundraising-oriented, or other public events.
- Plans, organizes, and identifies event locations and vendors; confers with broad based constituencies regarding logistics, guest lists, site selection, vendors, event goals and objectives, etc.
- Prepares and executes detailed event planning timelines and task lists to effectively track progress of the event.
- Provides effective marketing and communications strategies to promote events to targeted audiences. Oversees the design and drafting of website content, emails, physical invitations and other communications. Develops guest lists and lists of local contacts to publicize events; engages local media as necessary. May partner with Communications on event reporting as needed.
- Utilizes expertise in technology (online communications, social media, software applications, etc.) to advance planning and programming needs.
- Administers facilities, space logistics and manages equipment needs for events.
- Determines and coordinates staffing needs for individual events, reaching out to other staff and volunteers, and leveraging collegial relationships when necessary. Supervises temporary event staff and advises on event production and logistics. May mentor and oversee the work of less experienced events staff.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive event budgets and financial reports for funding, which may be complex across multiple funding sources. Oversees financial processes that may include coordinating recharges to various, units, processing financial transactions, and other business services functions as required.
- Contributes to and participates in long-range unit event planning. Works with Law School senior leadership, including the COO and the Event Services Unit Manager, to strategize event programming for the year.
- Ensures smooth-running, effective events, including successfully recognizing and resolving potential and real problems in a timely manner using tact, sensitivity, discretion
- and political acumen.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization and production.
- Thorough knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly the campus, its vision, mission, programs, policies, achievements and infrastructure.
- Skill in effectively meeting budget and time constraints.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills to work successfully with clients to produce high quality events that meet client needs and appropriately represent the campus; that is, for fundraising events, skills to provide excellent donor stewardship.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills including political acumen and social perceptiveness.
- Highly developed judgment, decision-making and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills, including skill in determining those issues/problems that need to be brought to management's attention.
- Solid working knowledge of the concepts, principles, and best practices of public relations and event planning, production, and implementation.
- Advanced knowledge of key software applications including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, web design software, experience with database applications, and knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly common University-specific computer systems.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising, and counseling skills.
- Knowledge of marketing and communications strategies to effectively promote events and activities to the targeted audience.
- Solid project management skills. Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving, and customer service.
- Advanced expertise counseling less experienced staff and demonstrated skill in supervising and guiding staff to accomplish projects.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- UC Berkeley Event Planning Program Certificate.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $67,000.00- $72,560.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full time (M-F; 40 hours/week) career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21384&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |