Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Transaction Specialist (4722C), BEARS Region - 38020
University of California, Berkeley
Transaction Specialist (4722C), BEARS Region - 38020
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) provides reliable, high quality administrative support for UC Berkeley in the areas of Business & Financial Services, Human Resources & Academic Personnel Support, and Research Administration.
This position is responsible for day-to-day UCPath payroll and HRIM dutites for assigned units with minimum supervision. Provide comprehensive overview of payroll and HR data entry functions to career, limited, academic and student employees. The incumbent must use various HR and payroll systems (e.g. UCPath, Cognos, CalAnswers, KRONOS Timekeeping systems, and a variety of other campus timekeeping systems). The position ensures: accurate data entry for in multiple HR systems; coordinates payroll process for large groups of employees and timely submission of information for payroll and adjustments. Analyze, prepare, and distribute reports and statistics based on information compiled from various systems.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/6/2022
UCPath and other Pay Systems Coordination:
- Use various systems and reports to ensure timely, accurate payroll and personnel process for employees, including: time reporting input, adjustments, accruals, researching and resolving errors, interpreting policies and contracts, ensuring compliance with personnel and payroll policies and procedures. Investigate and develop solutions to problems in various HR and payroll systems. Applies timekeeping and/ or payroll concepts to perform complex analysis regarding pay processing adjustment, including retroactive pay and overpayments for employees in multiple bargaining units and unrepresented. Performs payroll and leave audits to ensure accurate pay, avoiding overpayment issues and adherence to University policies, Bargaining Unit Agreements and employment laws. Coordinate and ensure accurate timely processes for mass transactions (i.e. hires, separations, etc.): organize meetings and trainings, develop new documents and procedures as necessary. Maintain detailed knowledge of University infrastructure, policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreements. Create, proofread, edit, update, and ensure timely distribution of: various documents, correspondence, operational calendar, manuals, etc. Ensure above materials are in proper business formats, accurate, grammatically correct, and handled confidentially, as required. UCPath and other HR Systems Coordination Enters employee information into UCPath and other HR systems for new hires, change of status, terminations, etc, ensuring that the data is correct and consistent. Ensures Audits for employee information and appointment information entered into UCPath and other HR systems are done accurately and promptly. Responsible for individual workload and time management with respect to work completion. This includes making workload decisions as needed and escalating insufficient/excessive work situations.
Customer Relations, Peer and Internal Collaboration, and Communications:
- Prepare, format, and analyze reports and data compiled from various systems. Utilize information to monitor and identify trends for: employee pay actions, data and pay corrections, etc. Prepare, maintain, track, process, reconcile and correct errors in a timely manner for recharges to other campus entities, transaction documents, financial reports (as requested), spreadsheets, etc. following appropriate University/departmental guidelines. Follow up and resolve any problems related to the above. Runs reports on department staff for department managers and supervisors.
- Greet, direct, and provide information in a professional manner via phone, in person, and online in BRS ticketing system to employees, managers, campus units, and others regarding: general UCPath information, specific UCPath inquiries from employees, managers or other entities, etc. Respond to inquiries in a timely manner and confidentially maintains all information. Consults with Generalists and BRS managers when working on non-routine issues of complex or sensitive nature. Collaborate with the UCB Central Payroll Office and UCPath to resolve complex department payroll issues and data issues. Participate in staff meetings and represents unit in departmental planning committees and with campus entities. Communicate with supervisor and transaction team leads on workload, ability to meet deadlines, system functionality, etc. Recommend and implement procedural changes for internal BEARS Region operations manual(s).
- Develop and implement a document (both electronic and hard copy) control system in an effort to keep sensitive business and transaction team records and files "up-to-date" with the most relevant and current information (as required by policy or statute of limitations). Organize, label/code, update and maintain departmental filing by pulling out-of-date information and redundancies. Manages sensitive and confidential information regarding both non-represented and bargaining unit issues.
Works in safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Demonstrated payroll and HRIS experience in a fast-paced setting. Knowledge of HR processes and payroll processes for data entry into HRIS system - ability to learn (e.g. UCPath) and other systems. Excellent mathematical abilities. Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively. Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, and possess a high degree of political acumen and awareness Ability to work rapidly and accurately with pressure of competing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced, frequently changing environment Knowledge and experience coordinating, troubleshooting and responding to customer service requests. Ability to communicate clearly, accurately, and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse group, including staff, co-workers, campus partners, etc. Demonstrated writing skill, using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation to compose and edit documents effectively. Demonstrated knowledge of proper business formats and ability to prepare professional documents. Ability to research special projects as assigned and produces and organizes reports to summarize findings, communicating the information clearly and effectively. Intermediate knowledge of PC applications and software (MS Office-Word, Excel, PowerPoint; G-Suite, Gmail, Google Doc, Google Sheet, Google Calendar, etc; SmartSheet, etc.). Must demonstrate ability to learn University systems. Demonstrated skill to create presentations and appropriate business documents using said software. Knowledge and experience gained in two or more progressive years of professional administrative, project, and fiscal experience in a professional office environment. Strong organizational skills, ability to establish priorities and work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated record keeping and file management skills to organize, accurately document, and retrieve data in a variety of formats (Hard Copy, Electronic, etc.). Demonstrated experience in establishing priorities, following plans and completing goals/objectives in a timely manner. Ability to exercise integrity and discretion in all matters and to protect confidential information. Ability to demonstrate and encourage the values of collegiality, and respect among supervisors and peers. Ability to directly resolve problems through informal consultations and discussions at the lowest level possible. Must be able to lift 15-20 pounds.
- Experience and expertise with or ability to quickly learn UCPath, Human Resource Management System (HRMS), , Kronos, UCB HR and Payroll Reporting Systems (e.g. CalAnswers and Cognos) and ServiceNow. Knowledge of or ability to learn UC personnel and payroll policies and procedures. Knowledge of or ability to learn UC Union Contracts. General knowledge of benefits eligibility requirements. Basic understanding or knowledge of or ability to learn the University environment, its mission, and operational needs. Ability to learn and understand, interpret, and apply University rules, regulations, and policies Ability to learn and make independent decisions in solving issues while adhering to the University of California and Berkeley campus policies. Experience in a professional office environment in a college and/or university setting.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
We are hiring for 2 full-time, 40-hours per week, Career positions. Flexible work arrangements including telecommute options are available for these roles.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=38020&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |