Administrative Support (4722C), Berkeley IT - 37026
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Business Operations unit enables the Berkeley IT organization to strategically manage our resources, our high priority initiatives, optimize our day-to-day operations, and provide leadership with the metrics and data they need to make informed decisions. Key Functions include Finance, Project and Portfolio Management, Strategic Sourcing, Administrative Support, Building & Equipment Management and Billing.
Berkeley IT believes in and fosters a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the Berkeley IT community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 06/21/2022.
Administrative Support Team process management, review, documentation and coordination
Procurement and Travel and Training Coordination:
- Gathers and assembles analytical and factual data on assigned problems and issues to prepare reports and/or analyses summarizing information on the assigned issues and commenting on other significance for internal or external constituents primarily for the Admin Support Team in Business Operations and other key teams and units within Berkeley IT. On a project or ad hoc basis, analyze existing Berkeley IT staff policies/practices and prevailing campus practices to recommend changes if necessary and document and communicate the updates and changes within the organization. May participate in projects and programs related to various Berkeley IT initiatives: OneIT/Strategy, IT Governance and more. Participate in committees as assigned. Participates in the design and drafting of organizational website content, and drafts communication to the organization. Prepares presentations and reports for new initiatives and provides ongoing communication to Berkeley IT staff. Document processes and connect with functional owners if needed such (Travel & Training, Connexus; BearBuy, Docusign; bIT specific processes.
Document Management and HR Support and Coordination:
- Creates BearBuy carts and includes proper documentation. Review and ensure that all of the required documentations are included. Travel and training support including registration and transportation reservation for individual employees, new hires or a whole team in Berkeley IT. Provides guidance, direction, and training to campus department users in purchasing (BearBuy support, payments for goods and services), travel and entertainment (use of the online reimbursement systems, and in understanding Travel and Entertainment policy and department processes) and other reimbursements Creates user guides and hosts how-to-training sessions. Researches and analyzes procurement, travel and reimbursement processes, procedures and organizational structures in order to develop and implement changes and provide consultative services to all Berkeley IT staff. Serves as BearBuy and Travel and Entertainment Reimbursement System subject matter expert, provides consultative services to Berkeley IT staff and serves as liaison to the campus travel and disbursements team. May serve as a backup in approving and completing travel and entertainment requisitions.
Berkeley IT Key Events and Meeting Coordination
- Manages document management workflow using DocuSign. Reviews Docusign access and permissions and troubleshoot errors. Provide training and guidance to users or liaise with the Docusign Team. In partnership with People, Performance, and Culture Team of Berkeley IT, assists with document management, onboarding, employment agreements, and other HR support activities such as ensuring that new hire equipment and supplies are ordered in a timely manner and scheduling interviews with staff at various levels. Assist with relocation activities for new hires and provide guidelines. Assists with job advertising (includes requesting for quotes or sending ad requests for each recruitment, downloading tear sheets and sending to hiring managers).
Professional Development and Training
- Using subject matter knowledge, collects and prepares information for use in discussions, meetings of internal Berkeley IT and OneIT or other campus constituents including reports, presentations and proposals. Consults and works in partnership with the internal and external stakeholders, tracking meeting requests and commitments, communicating efficiently with meeting participants and support staff, and coordinating meeting logistics and facilitating travel arrangements. Provide high-level planning and logistical support for meetings, retreats, and events including scheduling, participant communication and interface, maintaining distribution lists and Calgroups, scheduling ASL interpreters, managing special-purpose Zoom accounts, making room reservations, arranging for catering, agenda preparation/follow up and distributing materials, media and tech services, publicity and catering; AV support, note-taking, and related tasks. Manage contract negotiations for external venues. Determine and coordinate staffing needs for events and ensure successful, effective events; recognize and resolve potential and real problems in a timely manner using tact, sensitivity, discretion and political acumen. Coordinate and help support post-event activities such as surveys, and feedback collection. Manages the assigned Admin Support Team intake box by prioritizing and responding to inquiries or assigning to other team members. Evaluate the effectiveness of events for future programming. May serve as co-facilitator for various meetings. May include general office management.
- Engage in opportunities for continuing education pertinent to the position, or at the suggestion of the supervisor. Actively contributes to a team environment that fosters and promotes a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) Exemplifies Berkeley IT's Principles.
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff verbally and in writing. Proficient organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. Proficient in ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality. Working knowledge of common organization- or research-specific and other computer application programs such as Google Doc, Google Sheets, Google Slides Microsoft Office Tools. Demonstrates ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns. Demonstrates ability to analyze, research and synthesize large amounts of data with strong attention to detail. Welcomes differing skills, outlooks, and experiences of others working toward shared goals. Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Working knowledge of applicable policy analysis techniques. Knowledge of Survey Tools (such as Survey Monkey) and document management applications (such as Docusign). Familiarity with PeopleSoft HR System, Financial Systems.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) non-exempt career position, which is paid bi-weekly and eligible for full UC Benefits. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $25.65 (step 1) to $30.79 (step 9).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.htm
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source
of "UCB Employee
" and then enter the employee's Name
and Berkeley email
address in the Specific Referral Source
field. Please enter only one name and email.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=37026&PostingSeq=1