Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
As the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
, you will support the general cataloging needs of the University at Buffalo Libraries
as part of the Discovery Services team dedicated to providing library users with the resources they need for research, learning and teaching.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Cataloging of monographs, media, maps, scores, monographic series/sets, serials and other formats for Law, Arts and Sciences, Health Sciences, Architecture and Planning and Music.
- Using OCLC to perform bibliographic record creation or enhancement for original cataloging and complex copy cataloging needs following currently accepted international Research, Description and Access (RDA) cataloging standards and machine-readable (MARC) standards.
- Assigning Library of Congress (LC) and National Library of Medicine (NLM) classification and subject headings to material; may assign in-house classification schemes.
- Receiving, managing, maintaining and organizing new and legacy materials to ensure access and discovery.
- Exporting bibliographic records from OCLC into ExLibris Alma Network Zone, creating holdings and item records in the local catalog (Institution Zone).
- Maintaining Alma holdings to reflect accuracy and currency.
- Performing complex authority work by creating and revising Name Authority Records to contribute to the Library of Congress Name Authority File.
We invite individuals to apply whose perspectives and experiences will enrich and strengthen our organization. The library serves an increasingly diverse constituency of patrons, and our employees, services, collections, and policies should honor and reflect this diversity. We encourage candidates who thrive in a welcoming multicultural environment to apply.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
.About the University Libraries
SUNY’s largest academic research library offers an outstanding array of information resources, technologies, services, and people to support academic achievement. The Libraries play a vital role in the academic success of our students, the teaching and research of our faculty, and the intellectual pursuits of our alumni and community members. Our broad selection of digital and print resources, innovative services, and expert staff support scholarly and creative achievements in new and exciting ways.About the University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- A master’s degree in library and information science (MLS/MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent. A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of the education requirement.
- Proficiency in creating original bibliographic records and editing existing bibliographic records using the MARC format standard; familiarity with MARC record formats for monographic, serial and media material.
- Advanced knowledge of bibliographic concepts, cataloging and library organization.
- Expertise in the use of a networked integrated library system or a library services platform environment.
- Must be able to work independently without day-to-day supervision and function effectively within a team setting.
- Previous experience performing original and complex copy cataloging in an academic library.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |