Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Cook (5523C) - 26269
University of California, Berkeley
Cook (5523C) - 26269
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 12, 2021
- Prepare assigned menu items following department recipes and production sheets for breakfast, lunch, brunch and/or dinner, including entrees, side dishes, accompaniments, soups, breads, desserts, etc., following the standard HACCP principles of food preparation, safety, and sanitation in food production and service.
- Follow rules and policies for organic certification.
- Merchandise food including garnishing for serving line presentation.
- Participate in ongoing customer service programs which includes just in time cooking, demonstration cooking and interaction with customers.
- Prepare food from scratch independently for multiple cycle menus.
- Make recommendations to Manager, Sous Chef or Senior Cook on problem recipes.
- Complete service records at end of meal period.
- Track and record food waste and donations.
- Performs other duties as assigned HACCP Principles:
- (1) Identify the potential consumer health hazards,
- (2) Identify the control points where the identified hazards may occur,
- (3) Establish critical limits for the potential hazards and safety measures,
- (4) Establish monitoring routines to ensure safety measures are working,
- (5) Establish appropriate responses if monitoring indicates a problem,
- (6) Establish accurate and detailed record keeping system that documents problems and the remedial steps to be taken, and
- (7) Establish a verification system that ensures the above steps are being followed. May be asked to assist in other areas of the operation working down in classification.
- Can decide re-use values for food, following HACCP guidelines.
- Distribute prepared food at correct temperatures prior to service for specified meals to designated serving areas.
- Batch cooks food items as appropriate for organic and standard menu.
- Frequently check service line to ensure quality control and HACCP standards are met.
- Store products to maximize quality.
- Store leftover food properly and with Manager and/or plans usage.
- Prepare and date food samples taken from service.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Prevents cross-contamination - the transfer of pathogens (any agent that can cause disease) from one surface or food to another.
- Be aware of potential allergens - any substance that induces an allergy such as dairy, wheat, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish, and nuts.
- Be ready to answer questions about a dish that may contain an allergen.
- Make sure allergen is not transferred from one surface or food to another surface or food not containing the allergen. - follow recipes and no secret ingredients
Safety and Sanitation:
- Safely operate and maintain all following equipment used in food production and service, including: mixer, food processer, ovens, steamers, fryers, grills, warmers, skillets, kettles, knives and utensils, wok, broiler, etc. Identify problems with equipment.
- Ensure the cleanliness, safety, and sanitation of designated storage and work areas, large and small equipment and utensils used in food production.
- Plan own production schedule with Manager, Sous Chef or Senior Cook; may instruct and direct the work of the kitchen staff to meet specified meal hour requirements.
- Direct service staff during meal service, i.e. presentation, plating, portion control, quality control.
- Train other production staff, including demonstration cooking, in absence of Senior Cook or Sous Chef.
- Provide oversight and mentoring of food service workers and student staff
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations, using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Experience in food preparation and general maintenance in a kitchen.
- Ability to work independently and to prepare multiple menu items for a meal.
- Ability to successfully perform demonstration cooking and to prepare quality baked products.
- Ability to direct other staff.
- Ability to read, write, perform basic arithmetic, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to follow recipes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Ability to complete service records accurately at the conclusion of a meal.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Experience in large volume production.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is $19.15, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time (40-hours per week), Partial-Year Career position with a one-month furlough.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=26269&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |