Library Assistant I, Substitute and Short-term Temporary Hourly Pool, as needed
Kern Community College District
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Short-term Temporary Hourly
$13.00 per hour
Flexible, as needed
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Cerro Coso College
CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
This is for an applicant pool that will be used to staff short-term temporary hourly positions during the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 academic year. Basic Function:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform general clerical work in support of the various sections of the library; check materials in and out of the library; provide general and technical assistance to library patrons. Distinguishing Characteristics:
The Library Assistant I classification performs a wide variety of routine clerical assignments and provide general assistance to library patrons. The Library Assistant I typically performs a wide variety of moderately difficult to complex clerical duties in an assigned library function and train and provide work direction to staff during an assigned shift.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year of general clerical experience. Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Operation of standard office equipment including a computer and data entry techniques.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Basic Math.
- Perform a variety of routine clerical duties.
- Answer phones and greet the public courteously.
- Make routine math calculations.
- Operate a computer terminal and enter data.
- Maintain routine records.
- Complete work with many interruptions.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Learn basic library methods, procedures and terminology.
- Learn to operate a variety of equipment including an intercom system, library security system and a microfilm reader.
- Learn library classification system.
- Learn the location of materials in the library.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Indoor and outdoor work environment. Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors. Physical demands
- Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned essential functions of this job description are essential physical requirements. Hazards
- Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals. Working on ladders.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/11508
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.