Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Lead Tree Trimmer (8084C), Facilities Services - 45499
University of California, Berkeley
Lead Tree Trimmer (8084C), Facilities Services - 45499
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
Facilities Services is comprised of eight units which include: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Customer Service Center, Engineering and Technical Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, and People's Park. Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. The Electrical Shop is responsible for the maintenance and repair of electrical apparatus on the Berkeley campus. Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Superintendent of the Electrical Shop, this position supports the electrical unit by assisting with installation and repair of all lighting systems.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 16, 2022
- Follows ISA standards and proper safety procedures using appropriate PPE
- Follows Facilities Services Code of Conduct and Grounds Services operating procedures.
- Inspects, climbs, cables, braces, prunes, and removes trees and shrubs.
- Performs all clean-up activities associated with tree work.
- Operates trucks and other tree industry equipment in the course of work.
- Uses basic/advanced tree climbing techniques such as up and down, foot locking, aerial rescue, and lateral/side-by-side.
- Climbs trees using climbing aids and safety devices in the process of trimming trees.
- Works primarily with a hand saw, pruning shears, chain saw wood chipper, Bobcat with grapple and stump grinder attachments, aerial lift, Hobs lowering device, and climbing and rigging ropes.
- Maintains power tools, hand tools, ropes, rigging devices, and saddles.
- Cleans and sharpens tools and power saws.
- Cleans and systemizes trucks.
- Inspects and diagnoses trees for various plant pathologies including bacterial and fungal diseases, insect problems, and nutritional deficiencies.
- Inspects for construction damage, and hazardous trees.
- Takes corrective action as required, and/or as assigned.
- Ensures that proper pedestrian or vehicular traffic controls are in place when appropriate and that all safety measures and practices are in place and followed at all times.
- Works cooperatively with other Facilities Services units, Capital Project staff, other campus customers, and outside agencies such as PG&E and the City of Berkeley.
- Diagnoses and treats damage to trees resulting from the action of common diseases and pests.
- Prepares, uses, and supervises others in the preparation and use of spray pesticides.
- Keeps up-to-date knowledge on spray pesticides and state and federal regulations governing their use.
- Uses expertise in all tools and safety procedures required to perform activities such as pruning and tree topping at heights of about 75 feet.
- Exercises considerable discretion to choose appropriate work methods, personnel, tools, and safety precautions for different jobs.
- Oversees the work of the Tree Trimmer.
- Gives daily work assignments to the crew.
- Gives daily feedback to crew regarding ways to do jobs.
- Prepares written estimates for customers.
- Provides safety training on a daily basis as needed with the crew.
- Keeps up-to-date records of trees on the UC-Berkeley campus; plans tree planting.
- Recommends replacement for trees lost by natural causes and construction.
- Updates Arbor Pro inventory.
- Teaches courses for grounds personnel and students in areas such as ornamental horticulture.
- Initiates events such as tree walks and ecology projects for students.
- Annually recommends equipment and supplies required by the tree crew.
- Attends ISA or WCISA-sponsored events or reads articles/study guides to accumulate the appropriate amount of CEUs to maintain ISA Arborist certification.
- Conducts and maintains inventory for equipment and tools.
- Fills out their time cards each day and prior to scheduled time off.
- Adheres to all university and departmental safety guidelines.
- Attends job-related and safety training as required.
- Uses required or appropriate PPE.
- Follows appropriate safety procedures, and the proper use and care of equipment such as the chainsaw, wood chipper, and aerial lift.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, subordinates, supervisors, and the general public.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a group setting.
- Must know and follow the ANSI A300-Tree, Shrub, and other Woody Maintenance Standard and Pruning Practices, Part 1-Pruning, and Part 3-Support Systems.
- Must know the state and proper use of a hand saw, pruning shear, chain saw wood chipper, Bobcat with grapple and stump grinder attachments, aerial lift, Hobs lowering device, and climbing and rigging ropes.
- Must be able to drive one-ton trucks with the Hi-Ranger aerial lift, and proficiently position the wood chipper while driving in reverse.
- Knowledge and ability to properly operate, and provide daily/weekly basic maintenance of landscape maintenance equipment such as chain saw, and wood chipper.
- Ability to use computer programs, email, and update databases.
- Must have the ability to work with CMMS system organization, management, and maintenance; general work order/workflow management and asset maintenance (using CMMS software) Maximo Work Order System.
- Must be proficient in tree climbing using climbing saddle and ropes, and also proficient in the rigging.
- Experience assigning tasks and leading crew
- Must possess the ability and knowledge to necessary to safely and expeditiously perform tree specialist duties.
- Sufficient knowledge of the structure, function, and generic names for trees to allow easy communication with horticulturists or arborists when necessary.
- Ability to effectively communicate information to grounds personnel, students, and community people.
- Extensive knowledge of and/or ability to learn University trees and ecology
- Must have 2 years of experience in climbing trees, performing crown restoration, removing hazardous branches or trees, using rigging and related knots, and using tree trimming tools and equipment.
- Must be a Certified Arborist.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly. The hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $28.72 (step 1.0) - $39.41 (step 17.0).
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=45499&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |