The Primary function of this position is to update, edit, and maintain the payroll information required to properly pay the employees at Northern Illinois University. This position is primarily responsible for the data of the hourly paid employees but is crossed trained and also assists with the salaried paid employee data updating. This position also assists with the production of reports and statements associated with payroll.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position reports primarily to the Payroll & Compensation Office. The integrated nature of the Human Resource Information system also requires close conjunction with all other Human Resource areas as well as Campus Departments.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Possession of credential requirements listed for the Payroll Specialist I (Level II)
2. One year of work experience performing duties comparable to those listed in the Payroll Specialist I
or One year of vocational training in a related business curriculum (such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or management sciences)
or 6 semester hours in a related business curriculum (such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or management sciences)
or 15 semester hours in any field
or Any combination of the above totaling one year
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES NEEDED TO UNDERTAKE JOB
1. skill in analyzing and solving arithmetical problems
2. skill in the operation of business office equipment
3. skill in working accurately with details
4. good communications skills (oral and written)
5. skill in using spreadsheet and/or work processing software
6. ability to deal tactfully with sensitive or confidential information
7. supervisory ability
8. ability to act as inter- and intra-departmental liaison
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
3. Demonstrated work experience in Human Resources, Payroll, or Benefits off or comparable experience.