Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Gardener (8097C) 2417 - 2417
University of California Berkeley
Gardener (8097C) 2417 - 2417
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 7, 2019.
Position will remainopen unitl filled.
The department of Housing Operations, Maintenance, and Environment (HOME) is under the direction of the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Housing & Dining Operations, which is an area in Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP). RSSP is part of the division of Student Affairs. RSSP provides student housing, residential programs and dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, as well as childcare services for students, faculty and staff. The Grounds unit in HOME maintains all exterior landscape and most hardscape at RSSP facilities.
General Grounds and Hardscape Maintenance
- Maintain lawns, plants, shrubs, trees, hedges, ground covers, vines, and bare surface areas on the grounds of the Housing department and child care facilities.
- Perform weeding, cultivation, mulching, leaf and debris pick-up.
- Mow lawns and fields, string trim, edge around hardscapes; trim and prune shrubs, hedges and trees; dethatch, rake, overseed, topdress, aerate and fertilize lawns.
- Apply pesticides as scheduled.
- Water various ground areas by manual or portable sprinklers, with hoses or by operating in ground irrigation systems; perform minor irrigation repairs.
Customer Service Expectations and Miscellaneous
- Clean outdoor areas; pick-up and remove litter and debris; empty trash containers, clean and replace as directed; remove and dispose abandoned furniture, refrigerators and appliances left on grounds.
- Maintain walks, paths and signage; remove posters and flyers from non-designated areas.
- Abate fire hazards where necessary around creeks, buildings and parks.
- Maintain and complete light repairs on roads, and walkways.
- Install traffic signs and wheel stops, set up barricades for events, minor street and parking lot painting.
- Clean, maintain and organize tools, trucks shops and equipment.
- Operate trucks, electric and gas carts, riding and power mowers, power edgers, pneumatic tools and a variety of other grounds equipment and tools; service and make minor repairs and adjustments.
- Inspect, repair and replace playground equipment.
- Load and unload trucks and other vehicles; grounds equipment and supplies, tear down and remove various structures; dig and /or fill ditches, trenches and other excavations after minor repairs of walks, roads and walls.
- Clean storm drains, catch basins and culverts; cut and remove weeds and debris from roadsides, creek banks and ditches and channels; remove mud and silt from culverts and drainage channels.
- Perform basic light search and rescue, implement evacuation procedures, sandbag when necessary.
- Load secure and transport equipment such as tractors, stump grinders and rental equipment.
- Pick-up and remove litter and debris, inspect and observe condition of assigned areas, report problems regarding general safety, vandalism, irrigation conditions, tree hazards, plant health, pest populations, graffiti, pavement and site furniture hazards.
- Communicate and work effectively with staff, customers, community, and youth groups; provide excellent customer service.
- Lead/or assist community, recreation and youth groups in grounds related events such as: Garden Festival, Clean Up days, camps, and other community events.
- Respond to customer complaints effectively and report unresolved problems to supervisor. Follow proper purchasing and inventory procedures established by unit and department.
- Assist in training casual and student staff.
- Keep daily time log.
- Return completed work tag documentation in timely manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in providing general landscape maintenance and the operation of common grounds maintenance tools, trucks and equipment.
- Essential plant identification and horticulture knowledge; basic turf maintenance knowledge; basic irrigation systems knowledge; Integrated Pest Management and safe use of pesticides knowledge; common safety procedures including safe lifting techniques.
- Knowledge of ANSI A 300 Part 1- Standard Pruning Practices.
- Ability to speak, understand and legibly write English to communicate with work community and to record measurements, complete simple forms and maintenance records. Read and understand materials such as job instructions, equipment and safety manuals. Follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public, coworkers and supervisors.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions to calculate square footage and amounts of seed, fertilizer and pesticide to apply.
- Appropriately select and safely use hand power tools and equipment.
- Maintain vehicles, tools and equipment including basic troubleshooting to identify and correct minor mechanical and electrical malfunctions.
- Perform routine assembly and repair of playground equipment.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, twist, reach, stand and walk for extended periods on even, uneven and sloping surfaces. Ability to independently lift up to 50 lbs. and up to 100 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme and/or fluctuating weather conditions.
- Must be available to respond to emergencies and work occasional overtime on weekends/holidays.
- Adhere to RSSP work rules and Respect and Civility Statement.
- Employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions.
- Central irrigation programming experience
- Experience in Irrigation troubleshooting and repair
- Landscape installation experience
- Experience in customer relations
- Possession of or ability to obtain California Department of Pesticide Regulation Q.A.L or Q.A.C.within 6 months.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position will be a floater between two locations, Central Grounds and University Village located in Albany. Schedule of rotation will be as needed and decided by grounds supervisor.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2417&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |