Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Public Relations Specialist
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Public Relations Specialist
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
To generate media coverage of WPI at local, regional and national level.
- Focus on generating media coverage of WPI stories in the national, regional, online and local media
- Serve as media liaison; developing relationships and pitches, responding to queries and seeking opportunities to position WPI faculty and staff as experts
- Write media pitches, press releases, media advisories, backgrounders, bylined articles, online articles, internal communications pieces, Q & A's
- Work with faculty, researchers, administrators, students, and corporate partners to source and position stories - as well as news gathering, fact checking and arranging press contact
- Develop media plans and strategies
- Monitor news for trends and opportunities to leverage WPI staff and faculty expertise
- Participate in social media outreach on behalf of WPI
- Stay abreast of developments in online, nontraditional and new media outlets
- Provide guidance to PR Coordinator on media list development and distribution strategy
- Work closely with members of the marketing and communications team to integrate efforts and enhance WPI's position as a well-rounded institution of higher education
- Provide public relations counsel to members of the community when needed
- Must provide media updates on a regular basis
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations or a related field and 3-5 years related professional experience
- Must have a least 2 years' experience working in a public relations agency
- Must understand standard public relations concepts, practices and procedures
- In-depth knowledge of print and broadcast news media, online news outlets, and social media platforms
- Creative, open-minded, and enthusiastic about seeking new solutions to problems and opportunities
- Must be able to manage multiple projects efficiently and on time
- Familiarity with media databases, including Vocus, and experience with PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Understanding of Associated Press News style
- Positive attitude
- Committed to excellence
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal relationship skills, and organizational skills
- Must be a team player
- Ability to work within a changing and dynamic department
- Discretion and good judgment
- Occasional participation in evening or weekend events
- Occasional travel
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Public-Relations-Specialist_R0001567
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |