The Contracts Specialist facilitates contract processing, including contract development, preparation, implementation, and close out of contract terms; supports the District and its colleges with strategy, preparation, and approvals for standard and non-standard contracts. Coordinates the internal processes to address terms and conditions, contract/project scope, payment terms, service length, and other aspects related to contracts. Works collaboratively with legal counsel to ensure contracts meet the District's Board Policy and Administrative Procedures as well as Federal, state and local laws and regulations governing public sector contract administration.
Distinguishing Career Features
Under the general direction of the Director of Risk Services, the Contracts Specialist is responsible for working collaboratively across all departments of the District and its colleges. This single incumbent class is responsible for providing liaison with legal counsel on all contract matters, through proper contract processing and documentation. Duties are carried out with considerable independence within the framework of established policies, procedures and guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Organizes, examines, analyzes, revises, and assists with monitoring the formulation and processing of standard and non-standard contracts/agreements. Assures legal counsel recommendations are included in contracts and routes finalized documents to the originating college or district department.
* Assists District and college administration and management with contract discussions related to contract terms, conditions and processing.
* Conducts due diligence in reviewing and coordinating contract documents per District Board Policy and Administrative Procedures.
* Organizes and maintains detailed records for all contract documents in the District's database system. Maintains an up-to-date log of all closed, current, and pending contracts for reference in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
* Researches matters related to contract terms and prepares a recommended course of action for the District and/or college site to finalize such terms.
* Provides administrative support during contract processing and reviews contract documents to ensure they meet established criteria and that all supporting documents meet the established criteria for the scope of work/project or other third-party contract provisions.
* Reviews and ensures performance requirements and project measurements are well established within the contract terms and in adherence to District policy and procedure.
* Provides quality control by identifying problem areas within contracts and facilitates resolutions according to established guidelines and legal review.
* Requests Certificates of Insurance as required by standard and non-standard contracts. Reviews insurance provisions on the Certificates of Insurance to assure the terms of the contract are met. Ensures Certificates of Insurance are provided on behalf of the District, as required by the approved contract.
* Responds to inquiries related to contract administration and processing on behalf of the District and Risk Services. Provides assistance and administrative support to staff, management, and administration in determining the correct contract type for services and third-party contracts.
* Works collaboratively with the purchasing department regarding contracts as needed.
* Reviews Board Agenda and Minutes to confirm appropriate approval of contracts.
* Develops and prepares reports related to contracts, including contract status, performance measurements, trends, and evaluation standards.
* Provides recommendations to continuously improve policies, methods, procedures, and/or contracts to better serve the needs of the District and its colleges.Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objectives of the position