HR Generalist 2 (7595U), SHARE Service Region, Berkeley Regional Services - 27319
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 1, 2019
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, UndergrAduate Studies, Organized Research Units REgion (SHARE) - is part of Berkeley Regional Services, within the division of the Vice Chancellor for Administration. Our mission at SHARE is simple. We aim to provide the Human Resources, Research Administration, Purchasing & Reimbursement services that departments and ORUs in our region require - in a timely and efficient manner, with minimal hand-offs and a culture of collaborative improvement.
We will work hard to establish relationships with you as well as processes and services that will create a productive environment in support of the university's mission of excellence in teaching and research.
- Under general supervision screens resumes and applications and interviews applicants for student positions.
- Compiles personnel information, collects appointment data, monitors appointment spreadsheets and confirms appropriate authorizations and eligibility.
- Performs on-boarding and benefits counseling as needed.
- Generates reports in UC Systems; UCPath, Smartsheet, Cal Answers, GLACIER, VSPA Gateway and Cognos for analysis of personnel activity and compliance.
- Monitors appointment end date reports and partners with HR Partners to resolve.
- Monitors SmartSheet GSI/GSR/Reader/Tutor appointments as well as Lecturer appointments.
- May maintain records for equal employment opportunity and affirmative action reporting requirements and other records as required to maintain compliance (I-9, EAD, etc.)
- Provide guidance to supervisors and managers in developing student job descriptions, facilitating benefits communications, and providing guidance on student compensation personnel policies, and procedures.
- Under general supervision provides advice and counsel to client groups according to established human resources policies and procedures.
- Conducts HR trends analyses and helps develop resulting recommendations.
- Work in tandem with UC teams and departments: First contact, Payroll, HCM, Visa and Graduate Division.
- Manages sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interact with client groups.
- Possesses basic knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Has working knowledge of HR functional areas such as HR Policy, HCM data entry, benefits, recruitment, and payroll.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations.
- Excellent listening and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated the ability to apply tact and diplomacy, be persuasive and sensitive.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Highly motivated, flexible - comfortable and adaptable in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment, with frequent interruptions and shifting multiple priorities.
- Results oriented - good organizational skills, creative problem solving ability, dependable, can work collaboratively on a team.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
- Knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Smartsheets and Google web based programs such as Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $23.99 - $26.34.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27319&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1