Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Administrative Coordinator (4722C) 27384 - 1143
University of California, Berkeley
Administrative Coordinator (4722C) 27384 - 1143
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 20, 2019.
Position will remain open until filled
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is a complex cluster of student service and auxiliary services departments with an aggregated operating budget of approximately $145 million and over 2,500 employees. The Early Childhood Education Program (ECEP) is a department in RSSP that provides early education and child care for 262 infant, toddler, and pre-school children of students, faculty, staff and community families in five centers across campus and the surrounding community.
This is one of two full time administrative support positions for ECEP which operates with a $5M budget, a small management team of 7, 60 career teachers and assistant teachers, and a varying pool of 60-80 students and 15 - 30 substitutes. Both administrative support positions require independent judgement and problem solving to ensure appropriately researched answers to prospective and current customers and stakeholders as well as understanding when to escalate individual issues or developing trends to their supervisor and/or the Executive Directory. This position provides primary general administrative office support and customer service for the program (answering phones and in-person inquiries, coordinating prospective and new hire paperwork and required licensing background and health checks and other information, managing personnel licensing records and other files report writing support, submitting/ following up on department work order and HR tickets, calendaring meetings, reception area back-up, etc.). This position will work alongside the Admissions Coordinator who focuses on enrollment and billing support, among other duties. While the two positions have different day-to-day responsibilities, it is expected each will cover/assist the other as needed and step in to ensure the overall program's needs and the safety and welfare of the children are given the highest priority with high quality administrative support.
ECEP Administrative Coordinator
- Answer inquiries and provides consistent, appropriately researched answers to the public, students, and University personnel by phone, email, or in-person. Effectively describe ECEP to prospective parents, job applicants, or donors.
- Independently handle inquiries regarding admissions policy, purchasing procedures, status of waiting list (i.e. support and disseminate information), job announcements, and contact persons at all sites including administrative staff.
- Screen phone inquiries and route them appropriately when requires management or other specialized response.
- Sort and answer ECEP Departmental email, and redirect as appropriate
- Create and maintain various flyers/announcements and distribute to ECEP Center Directors for program announcements, job listings, administrative processes, etc.
- Compile and regularly update departmental files, documents, spreadsheets, etc. (e.g. department personnel certifications, on-site files, emergency contacts, work study balances, etc.) and distributes documents/files on timely basis. Requires understanding of complex licensing and compliance related regulations that the department must meet as well as industry best practice administrative processes to comply.
- Maintain and audit all ECEP listservs for parents, staff, centers, etc. to ensure timely and accurate communication to the correct stakeholders
- Responsible for all record keeping related to on-site personnel files.
- Coordinate timely pre-employment process for all new hires to ECEP (e.g. TB clearance, background check, hiring ticket submittal and approvals, etc.).
- Assists Associate Director with recruitment and on-boarding of new staff by ensuring new employees before first day of work :
- Complete ECEP & licensing forms,
- Affiliate new teaching staff with Community Care licensing and the appropriate center/s
- Arrange new hire on-boarding including, but not limited to, Cal1Card, email set up, computer access to appropriate shared files & listservs, etc.
- Coordinate with Center Director(s) and schedule orientation of Center(s) for new hires.
- Coordinate Student Assistant recruitment listings, work study renewals, application distribution,
- Responsible for most aspects of Student Assistant hiring process, including but not limited to: work-study referrals, appropriate clearances, hiring tickets, etc.
- Resolves routine situations based on knowledge of established policies and procedures; interprets same.
- Interprets departmental and University rules and regulations to staff, students, and public using discretion as to proper application.
- Coordinate substitute assignments, and maintain documentation and communication associated with subs in consultation with Associate Director as necessary.
- Create and/or transcribe documents, spreadsheets, and presentations as directed by Executive Director or Program Operations Manager
- Transcribe data from teachers to various systems or documents (e.g. State of CA Desired Results Development Report forms, ECERS/ITERS information, etc.)
- Creates tracking tools to provide pro-active leave management updates to ensure Centers have sufficient teaching shift coverage before Center Directors grant vacation requests
- Develops internal forms for program use (e.g. work study follow up)
- Assist ECEP managers and administrative staff with various documents (e.g. semester center staffing or classroom rosters, Admissions wait lists, etc.)
- Ensure daily pick-up and distribution of mail.
- Responsible for managing, updating, and maintaining a comprehensive office filing system.
- Maintain employee files and updates required documentation through reminders to staff.
- Organize, copy, distribute programmatic and project based materials for ECEP (e.g. center handbooks, orientation / enrollment materials, etc.).
- Ensures timely submittal of paper timesheets (when necessary), reimbursement requests, to appropriate group for processing.
- Coordinate purchases for central administrative staff or program-wide projects. Anticipate purchasing cycles and needs; ensure complete and timely purchases.
- Manage access cards for centers with card key access, including timely communication of activation, deactivation, lost cards, etc. Ensure timely submittal of card key deposits to SA Cashiers.
- Assist Executive Director and Associate Director with compiling data for reports.
- Provides back up to other administrative staff, as assigned.
- May assist ECEP classroom staff in maintaining ratios and coverage of classroom. This would include interaction with children from the ages of three months through five years at
any of our ECEP Centers.
- Experience overseeing busy front-line desk operation.
- Demonstrable customer service aptitude, attitude and experience
- Ability to work with diverse clientele and team members and confidential, sensitive issues using patience, tact, sensitivity and diplomacy.
- Experience and ability to listen and effectively problem-solve with a wide range of diverse clients.
- Excellent verbal, written and customer service communication skills
- Ability to get along with others and consistently deliver high quality results
- Ability to multi-task, and to respond to changing priorities.
- Ability to proofread work for accuracy.
- Intermediate skills with MS Office suite (particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google suite, email; demonstrated ability to learn other computer software programs
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and time management skills
Licenses or certifications required, if any:
- Must provide proof of current negative TB clearance, up-to-date measles vaccination and up-to-date health screening clearance and any new State or UC Berkeley health requirements for positions working with young children.
- Must complete blood borne pathogen training upon hire and annually thereafter.
- Must complete on-line State of CA Mandated Reporter training upon hire and annually thereafter.
- Must complete integrated pest management (IPM) training within 12 months of hire and every other year thereafter
- Current Pediatric CPR/First Aid certification.
- Basic knowledge of unit, departmental, and University policies and procedures.
- Experience working with University students, faculty, and staff
- Knowledge of early care and education programs, best practice approaches and Child Development/ECE units.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1143&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |