HVAC II - Mechanic
: Staff - Full-Time
The facilities department at UVU is seeking an HVAC mechanic to join their team. This role will respond, diagnose, and repair problems related to the operation of the Central Plants and related equipment. Keeps all HVAC equipment operational and maintained. Using the Campus Building Management Software, checks the equipment operation and identifies problems and makes repairs. Maintains equipment in a clean and functional condition.
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience OR a combination of education and experience equal to two years. Technical or vocational degree in appropriate mechanical trade area may be substituted for experience.
Gas and Universal Refrigeration Certification required within three months of hire date.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of VAV control systems.
- Knowledge of air quality control systems and how to calibrate such systems.
- Knowledge of the operation and function of web-based HVAC management system in a large, multiple building setting.
- Knowledge of the required maintenance needed for the mechanical equipment for large buildings (VAV contols, fan coils, double ducts, roof-top units, evaporative cooling).
- Knowledge of maintenance repairs and inventory of various tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of the safe operation of HVAC systems.
- Knowledge of computerized energy management systems used to maintain temperature controls.
- Knowledge of the operation of pneumatic, electrical and electronic controls.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems with direct digital control systems that are linked to a multiple building computer-based energy management control system.
- Knowledge of electrical and electronic controls, electrical circuits, installation, troubleshooting and the repair and maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Knowledge of recent developments in the HVAC field.
- Skill in the evaluation and repair of HVAC systems that incorporate digital control systems.
- Skill in trouble-shooting and resolving problems with HVAC equipment.
- Skill in the repair and diagnosis of air and water moving equipment.
- Skill using various tools in the maintenance and repair of HVAC systems.
- Ability to follow written and verbal procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work safely in an environment with electrical equipment.
- Ability to perform construction and remodeling of HVAC/R systems.
- Ability to read and interpret HVAC technical manuals, schematics and building plans.
- Ability to operate boilers and maintain all other types of heating systems.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to the trade.
- Ability to develop heating, ventilating and air conditioning system modification plans.
Graduation from an accredited institution with an Associates Degree in HVAC plus two years of experience related to the summary of duties.
Extensive physical effort. Requires stair and ladder climbing; heavy lifting, handling, pushing or moving objects up to 50 lbs (or greater with the use of mechanical assistance).
Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, bio hazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
$33,385 - $41,731
STA147518 Facilities Staff 03/22/2019
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of one reference. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/11739
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.