Writer and Editor (4017U) - 13965
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 20, 2021
The UC Berkeley Library Communications team tells stories that invite the world to discover the Library's services, spaces, and collections. We unearth the interesting and untold, celebrate the extraordinary, spark curiosity, and dream up fun and creative ways to share the Library's mission with the world. We use writing, editing, social media, photo, video, web design, print design, exhibit design, and events to inform the campus community and inspire external financial support. See our work: news.lib.berkeley.edu
The UC Berkeley Library seeks a writer and editor to help inform and persuade our audiences as a key member of the communications department's small but mighty editorial team. We are looking for an energetic, motivated reporter to help develop and edit content that is displayed on our websites and in our print newsmagazine. The writer and editor's primary duties include pitching, researching, and writing stories that cover a range of topics at the Library and across campus; copy editing print and web projects; writing and building email news products; and overseeing content on certain web platforms. Additional duties include helping write video scripts; helping develop and distribute social media posts; and responding to some inquiries from internal and external sources.
The ideal candidate will have experience reporting and writing both short- and long-form stories, including researching and selecting sources, conducting interviews, and ensuring the accuracy of written pieces. The candidate must be willing to put distribution at the center of any content discussion with an understanding that story focus or form may be shaped by the distribution strategy. The candidate must be able to copy edit others' work, including editing for accuracy, tone, style, and grammar. The candidate must be able to juggle a number of very different projects at any one time and respond quickly to time-sensitive assignments. The ideal candidate will be able to collaborate as part of a team and coordinate projects and production with designers, photographers, and others. The candidate must also be able to work independently. Journalism experience is a plus.
- Under limited supervision, researches, writes, and edits material for a variety of publications for internal and external audiences, consulting with team members and clients.
- Produces articles, press releases, fundraising solicitations, and other written pieces under varying deadlines (hours, days, months) and using varying forms (short, long, journalistic, promotional).
- As a writer and editor, ensures clarity, organization, accuracy, style, and quality of own written work and that of others on the team.
- Serves as project lead on certain assignments, such as creation and production of email newsletters and oversight of content on certain platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Proven ability to write clear, lively, engaging, and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences.
- Thorough knowledge of reporting and conducting interviews; ability to translate research into stories quickly yet accurately to produce content on a daily basis.
- Ability to follow appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines.
- Thorough research and fact-verification skills.
- Thorough attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills; ability to juggle multiple assignments, both small and large, and to manage workload appropriately.
- Superior interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills; openness to editing and critique of work.
- Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Skill to maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent/experience.
- Substantial experience editing for story substance and flow and experience copy editing others' work.
- Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and/or web production.
- Portfolio of work that includes storytelling across multiple media, such as video scripts, narration or production of videos, and/or development of content for data visualization and graphics.
- Experience or training in journalism.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. The department will not review applications until February 5, 2021.
Please submit two original writing samples with your application. Applications without writing samples will not be considered.
This is a full-time, Career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=13965&PostingSeq=1