Temporary Custodian (5103C) - 8760
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in membership with all members of the campus community.
The primary responsibilities of the Custodial Service Organization are to maintain the campus buildings at a clean and sanitary level. The Custodial staff members report directly to the Area Supervisor.
Custodians perform general cleaning maintenance duties in offices, classrooms, laboratories, auditoriums, gymnasiums, restrooms, lounges, hallways and/or other designated public or private areas of a campus facility; and perform other related duties as required. Custodians may work individually or as part of a team in cleaning and/or maintaining assigned work areas. Incumbents may experience varying degrees of contact with the public depending on the nature, location and assigned work areas.
- Incumbents typically sweep, mop, wax, dust, clean and/or polish floors, stairs, hallways, corridors, walls, moldings, outside steps, terraces, windowsills and other designated areas; dust, clean, wax, and/or polish furniture, woodwork, light fixtures, venetian blinds, radiators, duct grills, blackboards, filing cabinets and other designated areas of equipment; mop, clean and (or disinfect restrooms, shower rooms and/or locker rooms with responsibility for replenishing restroom supplies trash liners, toilet seat covers, sanitary napkin machines and all paper dispensers; wash doors, partition glass, mirrors, showcases, glass panels, inside windows and outside windows at level; polish metal fixtures; empty and clean ashtrays, wastebaskets, recycle containers, and other receptacles; unstop minor drain stoppages; vacuum rugs, draperies, upholstered furniture, mattresses, pillows and other designated materials.
- Under supervision, incumbents perform semi-skilled and skilled cleaning, house keeping and/or general cleaning maintenance duties for the majority of their time.
- Incumbents operate vacuum cleaners, buffers, wall washing machines, shampoo machines, wet/dry vacuums, carpet extractors, floor scrubbing and/or polishing machines during stripping, waxing, buffing and/or other related cleaning operations; make reports on building and/or equipment needs; have security responsibility for one or more assigned areas; may open and close buildings and general assignment classrooms;
- Raise and lower flags on official flag poles; respond to and assist with minor water flooding; may assist in the setting up and dismantling of special equipment at functions; may load and/or unload large trash receptacles; may perform specialized cleaning in laboratories, surgical and/or operating areas, isolation and terminal areas as required.
- Perform all task conforming to policies and procedures, including Physical Plants Campus Services Code Of Conduct; Hazard Communication Program and other campus authorized documents.
- Attend all required safety and job related training.
- Demonstrate ability to read, write and follow oral/written instructions provided in English.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Six months of experience in a custodial cleaning operation; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience up to $19.18, Step 1.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This is a full-time, Limited (temporary) position.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8760&PostingSeq=1