Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1985, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. The hospital offers a positive learning experience for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University students, veterinary technician students, residents, interns and support staff regarding small animal medicine and specialty services.
What You'll Do
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
The Veterinary Technician Assistant Supervisor works as part of an integrated clinical care team to provide high quality supervision and nursing care to all hospital patients. This position provides assistance to Senior Veterinary technician, Hospital Administration and the Faculty Section Heads in directing the daily function of specialty services. The Assistant Supervisor utilizes exceptional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to provide coaching and mentorship to all team members. This position ensures high-quality technical assistance will be provided to all patients presented to the service as well as providing excellent customer service to clinicians, residents, interns and students. Technical duties include caring for patients in the Small Animal Hospital. This position will promote, facilitate and develop a team spirit and productive workforce among the technical support staff which requires frequent, clear communication with the Senior Veterinary Technician, Technician Resources Manager and clinicians. This position assist in the specialty services as determined by caseload and staffing.
What We're Looking For
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Associate degree from an accredited institution in Veterinary Technology or other animal biology related field plus three years related work experience or
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Veterinary Technology or other animal biology related field plus two years related work experience
- Required technical skills include:
- IV catheterization
- Dosage calculations
- Fluid therapy
- Certified Veterinary Technician in good standing.
- Exotic animal handling skills. Exotic animals include birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, special small mammals (such as chinchillas or hedgehogs), reptiles, and amphibians.
- Advanced education and experience with Veterinary Technician Specialist certification (in good standing).
- Preferred qualifications include 3+ years of related experience, experience in a veterinary teaching hospital, strong computer background and experience in related veterinary technician disciplines.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
The schedule for this position may include providing University and calendar holiday coverage on a rotating basis. The schedule for this position requires flexibility to insure that adequate leadership support and patient care is provided without interruption or exception. This position is considered essential and is therefore required to report to work as scheduled during emergency closings.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity