Research Nurse, Per Diem (9119C) - 2406 - 2406
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
The Department of Integrative Biology (IB) offers Undergraduate and Graduate academic programs as well as Faculty Research that focuses on the integration of structure and function that influences the biology, ecology, and evolution of organisms. It investigates integration at all levels of organization from molecules to the biosphere, and in all branches of the tree of life: plants, animals, fungi, and microbes.
The purpose of this position is to provide medical coverage for the conduct of isotope tracer studies to study metabolite flux rates during Oral Glucose Tolerance tests (OGTs). This will involve arm vein tracer cocktail infusion and back of hand vein blood sampling for the Brooks Lab.
- Review participant health history questionnaires with research team
- For isotope tracer studies, using sterile SOP techniques place hand-vein catheters for intermittent blood sampling and hook-up to normal saline drip line. Hook up arm vein catheter for isotope infusion using SOP techniques. Administer tracer bolus and start infusion pump. Maintain line patencies for tracer infusion and blood sampling. Take intermittent blood samples, clear the sampling line and maintain saline drip between sampling times again by using sterile SOP techniques.
- At the end of studies, remove catheters, hold direct pressure to prevent bleeding, and dressing puncture sites.
- Assist the physician during biopsy procedures such as by holding direct pressure to prevent post-biopsy bleeding, and dressing the biopsy sites. Note, a physician will prepare the biopsy tray and take biopsies. He/she will Task includes; hand biopsy needles to other lab staff for freezing and processing. Hence, while helpful, none of these functions are obligatory for the nurse.
- Provide first aid medical advice for participants on routine medical matters arising from participation in the study.
- Active Registered Nurse licensure in the State of California
- At least six months of clinical experience
- Knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position
- Ability to supervise and work well with the PI, physicians, SRA exercise physiologists, post-doc fellows, graduate and undergraduate students, and visiting scientists in the laboratory.
- CITI training and experience with the process involved in conduct of biomedical experiments involving isotope tracer infusion and blood sampling.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt per diem position paid hourly at step 1.0, $64.20.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Nurse Unit (NX) between the University of California and the California Nurses Association (CNA). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2406&PostingSeq=1