Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford/Somerville campus, delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4500 meal plan holders as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community of 5600 undergraduates, 2400 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff, and administrators.
What You'll Do
The Assistant Unit Manager, Resident Dining is responsible for the effective daily management of a resident board dining center serving on average over 1500 meals per day, seven days per week. The Assistant Unit Manager will provide leadership in the areas of customer service, hospitality, food preparation, quality control, food service sanitation, housekeeping, equipment maintenance, marketing, special events planning, and execution. They will assist the unit manager with the responsibilities of compliance with department policies, procedures and standards, state and municipal regulations, and university policies and procedures. As a manager-on-Duty, they will work collaboratively with members of the unit management team to deliver the highest quality dining experience every day.
What We're Looking For
- Associate degree in hospitality or food service management or equivalent experience.
- 3 to 5 years of food service management experience with at least 2 years managing in high volume food service operation required.
- Outstanding interpersonal and organization skills and strong verbal and written communication skills are important.
- Demonstrated knowledge of production planning and fiscal management while maintaining high customer satisfaction in a high-volume resident dining program.
- Experience with a demonstrated record of teamwork, inclusion, collaboration and partnering.
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality, dietetics, culinary arts or food service management
- Outstanding communication skills including interpersonal communication, writing, public speaking, and presenting
- Working knowledge of a residential food service program in a college or university
- Working knowledge of automated food productions systems such as Foodpro or CBORD and sophisticated POS systems such as Sequoia, Blackboard or Micros.
- ServSafe Manager Certification
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Primary work schedule is Saturday to Wednesday during the academic year, and some weekends, evening and holiday work is expected when classes are in session and periodically during the summer. Schedule is subject to change based on the needs of the business. A 50+ work week is anticipated during the academic terms.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.