Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
A full-time staff position is available at WPI, Worcester to join its National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded National Research Traineeship program as a Project Coordinator. This new transdisciplinary training program, called CEDAR (Circular Economy and Data Analytics Engineering Research for Sustainability), unites student trainees and faculty in diverse disciplines ranging from data sciences (computing, business analytics, statistics, mathematics) to chemical sciences (chemistry, biology, physics, engineering) with a convergent research focus on the advancement of circular economies to impact our society and sustainability. We expect to train 100 graduate students over the next 5 years.
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, communication, administration, implementation, and evaluation of the graduate training program in close collaboration with the faculty team and a formal evaluator. Specific activities of the Program Coordinator include but are not limited to the recruitment of students into the program, especially underrepresented minorities, management and coordination of workshops and the program's website, assistance with program evaluation, organization of symposia and events, coordination of outreach, and administrative support from monitoring budgets and spending activity, hiring of students, procurement of goods and services, and reporting as required. This position offers an opportunity that integrates creativity and leadership at the interface of graduate education, professional development and research.
Higher Level Tasks:
Support PI and core team in coordinating and delivering the NRT program and its components:
Lower Level Tasks:
- Ensure and track that goals and deliverables of the project are met
- Work with evaluator on survey design and execution including scheduling of session
- Primary author for the annual report and thus organizes and maintains information about the project, including trainee completion of components, events, and so on
- Oversee and approve budget expenditures against awarded budget and balances the budget
- Set up and maintain webpage about program and its successes
- Proactive in coordinating NRT events such as Annual Symposia and/or Advisory Board meetings and communication
- Plan recruiting strategies for bringing in new Trainees
- Design trainee retention strategies and engage with our Trainees
- Interface between program, affiliated departments and rest of university
- Communicate with Trainees and coordinate their professional development
- Design or coordinate professional development programs (leveraging WPI's resources)
- Organize sessions such as selection of student submissions for competitions
- Assist in communication and coordination with current and potential collaborators
- Set up internship opportunities for Trainees
- Lead or coordinate communication training
Assist with administrative and logistics tasks related to delivering the project, including but not limited to:
- Schedule and organize meetings, and make travel arrangements
- Help with hiring of students, research staff and faculty and purchasing of materials related to research
- Perform other related job duties as assigned by PI
Qualifications for this position include preferable an MA or MS degree (however, applicants with a Bachelor's degree or PhD degree are also considered)
- Background in project coordination from school administrator, higher education administration or student affairs a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be highly organized, have effective time-management and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and as member of a team.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks, prioritize, and follow-through.
- Ability to think critically, flexibly and analytically.
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact and discretion.
- Experience with grant accounting, grant writing, and/or reporting preferred.
- Excellent Microsoft Office and computer skills required, familiarity with analytics, data bases and/or accounting
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Project-Coordinator_R0001132
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.