University of Idaho
University Research (Div)
$24.04 - $28.85 per hour, depending on experience
Based in Moscow, Idaho, the GIS Analyst will support Idaho Geological Survey (IGS) staff in grant related responsibilities and research including database creation and management, digital cartography, and geologic mapping. This position works closely with the IGS Director, Digital Mapping Lab (DML) Manager and other mapping lab staff. The position reports to the DML Manager and requires the development, implementation, and maintenance of GIS and non-spatial databases.
The position is a one-year appointment funded by the USGS-STATEMAP 2020 grant. Ongoing employment will be contingent upon funding.
Principal duties are: 1) supporting agency projects through GIS and database design and creative problem solving; 2) creating computer programs and scripts to assist with GIS projects; 3) GIS and other data management and maintenance including migrating and converting databases as necessary; 4) modeling of GIS data sets; and 5) creation of geologic maps in both GIS and vector graphic software.
- Bachelors degree in GIS, Geology, Earth and Environmental Sciences, or closely related field.
- Three years of applied GIS work experience. Up to 1 year of relevant education experience can be counted toward the work experience requirement.
- Experience in the application of ESRI Geographic Information Systems software including data analysis, modeling, geoprocessing, data capture, data conversion, relational database design, ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Online as applied in the geological sciences.
- Experience in GIS-related scripting languages, such as Python or Visual Basic, and willingness to learn more as needed.
- Experience in managing several projects concurrently.
- Editing and writing business correspondence and technical documents using proper grammar and punctuation as demonstrated in application materials.
- Experience explaining and presenting scientific content in large group and individual settings.
- Previous experience working at a State or Federal Geological Survey.
- Masters degree in Geology or closely related field.
- Experience working with geological data.
- Working knowledge of GIS-based, web data delivery application techniques.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based computer systems, networks, and servers.
- Demonstrated ability to do Kriging and subsurface modeling.
- Proficient knowledge of geological mapping principles and skills.
- Knowledge of QA/QC techniques to assess the quality, accuracy, and content of spatial databases and GIS deliverable products and publications.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift, carry and/or otherwise move equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
Open Until Filled:
Preferential review of applicants will begin July 25, 2020.
Certificates and licenses along with an example of geologic map and/or database that the applicant has produced are optional documents to upload as other documents.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.