The Tufts University Art Galleries are dedicated to the presentation of art and the pressing issues of arts discourse. They are pedagogical spaces where exhibitions, lectures, performances, and artist residencies converge to animate the intellectual life of the greater university community and beyond.
The University Art Galleries department oversees the exhibition spaces in the Shirley and Alex Aidekman Arts Center on the Medford Campus, the galleries at the SMFA at Tufts in Boston, and the Tufts University’s Permanent and Public Art Collection. The Galleries produce three-four exhibitions each semester between the two campus locations alongside 15-20 curricular-driven installations per year.
What You'll Do
The art preparator is an integral position to the planning and execution of exhibitions, public programs and permanent art installations in and around the Medford Campus. This position will be based in Medford and focused primarily on exhibitions held within the Aidekman Arts Center and permanent collection installations throughout campus buildings.
- Responsible for the design and construction of exhibition structures and the installation of artworks for exhibitions and collections in the galleries and throughout the campuses’ public art locations.
- Collaborates with the exhibitions and collections team to develop production schedules, signage and performs other related duties including and not exclusive to maintaining the Galleries’ workshop and transporting artwork.
- Oversees AV set ups for public events and coordinate and manage temporary contract workers for exhibitions and installations.
- Collaborates with undergraduate and graduate student assistants.
- Track expenses and budgets.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and experince as typically acquired by a BA or BFA
- Experience with pedestal and wall fabrication carpentry
- Experience with 2D and 3D Art Installation
- Basic knowledge of AV and Digital Equipment and installation
- Knowledge of design programs; Google SketchUp experience a plus
- Master's of Fine Arts degree and and at least 3 years' experience
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Some evening hours requried. This position is a hybrid position requiring at least 4 days on site, with the exception of installation periods which will require the incumbent to be in person full time.