Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Food Service Worker (5652C), Intercollegiate Athletics - 39605
University of California, Berkeley
Food Service Worker (5652C), Intercollegiate Athletics - 39605
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking Food Service Workers to serve meals for clients and fans at Athletic venues.
This is a limited-time position with most hours occurring in the late afternoon/early evening and weekends. The food service will work alongside the Athletics Concessionaire and Catering partner to provide food for banquets, events, suites, and distinguished guests in Athletic facilities. The University holds more than 200 yearly events at its Stadium suite levels and the kitchen staff supports all of these events. While the position is being hired as on a limited-time basis, it may turn into a full-time role as the sales business ramps up. This position will work alongside the Executive chef, Banquet Managers, Concessions Managers and other staff in the storing, displaying and serving preparation of all food and meals for Athletics special events and sporting events. The positions will also provide sanitary work stations and equipment. Providing a world-class experience to all guest of the Athletics Department is paramount to this role.
- As cooks' helpers, assist with preparing and panning menu items, wash and cut raw vegetables, slice luncheon meats and cheeses; open and pan convenience food items in preparation for service; replenish dry storage bins; and clean equipment, cutlery, utensils, work tables, shelves, storage racks, cutting boards and sinks in the main food production areas.
- Serve, plate, and package food using portion control techniques, resulting in an appealing final product.
- Distribute prepared food at correct temperatures prior to service for specified meals to designated serving areas. Frequently check service line to ensure quality control and HACCP standards are met. Store products to maximize organic and standard quality. Store leftover organic food properly and away from non-organic product and plan usage of leftovers with the Executive Chef.
- Set-up, prepare, replenish, distribute food products and supplies in designated areas to ensure availability in a timely manner to meet customer demand, Oversee front of the house set ups.
- Maintain cleanliness of all work area, including sweeping, mopping, wiping surfaces.
- Clean and wash soiled dishware and equipment using correct procedures of safety and sanitation.
- As cafeteria line or dining room attendants, incumbents set up menu items to be served for each meal; fill cold wells, with ice; assemble plates, cups, silver and tray racks; prepare cream dispensers and set up coffee supplies; replenish napkins, tea bags, cold cereals, and ice cream; serve food to customers; and clean food warmers, cold wells, counter tops, pass-through refrigerators, toasters, sinks and bread machines.
- As dish machine attendants, incumbents scrape, stack, load, un-rack and store dishes, glassware, silver and trays; assemble, operate, breakdown and clean dish machine; and clean interior and exterior of conveyer belt.
- As pot and pan machine attendants, incumbents assemble, scrape, soak and wash pots, pans and utensils in the pot machine; and clean pot machine, work tables, soak sinks and portable storage pot racks.
- As general maintenance workers, incumbents clean and maintain stockpots, steam chef cookers, ovens, grills, deep wells, fryers and mixers; clean work tables, shelves, sinks, drinking fountains, storage cabinets, ice machines, refrigerators and food storage bins; clean walls, doors, and air-vents; collect, empty wash and redistribute garbage cans; and sweep and mop floors in kitchen or dining area.
- Experience in food preparation and general maintenance in a kitchen.
- Ability to work independently and to serve multiple menu items for a meal.
- Ability to read, write, perform basic arithmetic, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain restaurant food service equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification.
- Experience in large volume production.
- Experience in customer service roles.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
- Intercollegiate Athletics is hiring eight (8) Food Service Workers.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=39605&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |