Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Field and Laboratory Research Assistant/Technician
Field and Laboratory Research Assistant/Technician
181-Geography and the Environment
The Weston lab in the Department of Geography & the Environment at Villanova University is seeking a Field and Laboratory Research Assistant or Technician (level will be determined based on education and experience). The Weston lab investigates the impact of climate change and land use change in coastal ecosystems (see http://nweston.org
for more information). This is a 3-year temporary position contingent on grant funding with a start date of June 1 2019.
Responsibilities will include field research, laboratory analyses, assisting with undergraduate and graduate student independent research, and other duties that may be assigned. This position will primarily conduct laboratory analyses and field research in support of ongoing research projects including, but not limited to, the National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Plum Island Ecosystem Long Term Ecological Research (PIE-LTER) project, and will additionally provide support for undergraduate and graduate student research.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in field work in tidal marshes and estuaries, including day-trips to sites in the Delaware River, New Jersey, and multi-day field campaigns to the Plum Island Estuary, Massachusetts.
- Perform field research including measurement of surface elevation tables (SETs), marker horizons, above- and below-ground plant biomass, estuarine lateral flux using an acoustic doppler current profiler, dawn/dusk transects to measure estuarine metabolism, and vertical gas flux measurements using chambers.
- After appropriate training and orientation, will be responsible for leading field trips and overseeing graduate and undergraduate students in the field and laboratory.
- Responsible for transportation to field sites.
- Manage the Weston research laboratory.
- Duties will include gamma counting of soils, soil carbon and nitrogen measurements, nutrient analysis of water samples, data and meta-data preparation and organization, and assisting with manuscript preparation.
- Provide support for undergraduate and graduate student independent research, and will assist students in the field and the laboratory.
- B.S./B.A. in environmental science, biology, ecology, earth science, or a related discipline is required.
- A relevant graduate degree is required for technician level
- Minimum 1 year of related experience required for technician level.
- Must be well-organized, proficient in Microsoft Excel, and capable of managing a research laboratory and organization data in meta-data.
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers license and be able to trailer a small boat behind a 12 passenger van.
- The technician will need to take and pass a boating safety course and will be responsible for transportation on-site by motorboat.
Prior experience with small motor-craft, trailering, and wetland field research and laboratory work is highly desirable.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
Special Message to Applicants
- This position requires willingness and ability to conduct field research in wetland systems, including sometimes physically demanding work in hot or cold temperatures in muddy and sometimes buggy conditions.
- This position will also require occasional extended work hours to meet research objectives.
- Equipment used in wetland field research includes GPS, surface elevation table (SETs), liquid nitrogen, ladders, boards, and other supplies that must be carried and used in the field.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/16185
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |