If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Tutor V Mathematics and Sciences (Hourly)
Job Description Summary:
Assists students one on one and/or in groups with reinforcing and understanding concepts, studying effectively and preparing for tests
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Tutors students according to set priorities and academic goals.
- Provides assistance to students on a one-on-one or group basis in the subject discipline, college study skills, and Learning Lab resources.
- Organizes supplemental learning materials.
- Provides feedback on student progress.
- May assist with research, development, delivery, and evaluation of specialized tutoring services and/or resources for tutorial activities.
- May lead study groups in the subject matter.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Tutoring techniques, standards, and supplemental learning materials for individual and group tutoring.
- Learning Lab services.
- Processes and resources for organizing and leading study groups.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact, patience, and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Understanding and following instructions precisely.
- Providing quality tutorial services to groups and individuals and providing feedback regarding student performance and/or progress.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds, including students, fellow tutors, and faculty.
- Maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes good relations with students, co-workers, and staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
Required Work Experience
- For all Tutor levels: one semester related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Tutor V: Significant experience and expertise or related experience and expertise for difficult-to-fill or very specialized discipline.
- Degree or substantial undergraduate coursework in the discipline, and demonstrated competence in the subjects that will be tutored.
- Tutor V: Appropriate degree in specialized area.
- Work is performed in a learning lab environment on campus in an academic setting.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
July 4, 2022
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.