Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Administrative Assistant, Employee Labor & Relations (7593U), People & Culture - 48457
University of California, Berkeley
Administrative Assistant, Employee Labor & Relations (7593U), People & Culture - 48457
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
People & Culture is valued as UC Berkeley's proactive people partner focusing on the following key priority areas:
- One HR: Bringing clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross- team collaboration and transparent communication.
- People: Using development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
- Culture: Applying Berkeley brand to developing a shared "enterprise contributor" mindset among all.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 13, 2023
Administrative Support to Director & Organization's Staff:
- Identifies the requirements of the Director in order to prioritize issues according to urgency and to allocate time for scheduled events. Primary point person for the large volume of information and requests received daily. Addresses complex and sensitive issues.
- Prioritizes and manages the Director's time and complex calendar including identifying preferences, required attendance, initiating and responding to scheduling requests.
- Responsible for BearBuy and other vendor transactions and coordination of processes with HR Finance operations.
- Skilled in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, GSuite, and learn new apps as required.
- Compiles and arrays spreadsheets and data using subject-matter knowledge of the material to ensure data results are consistent with the nature of the data, and are accurate. May analyze trends. Drafts responses to inquiries and assists with preparation of presentations and reports (narrative, data or otherwise).
- Independently anticipates data and information requirements of the Director and the team and prepares committee or other meeting briefing materials with campus leaders.
- Balances multiple priorities and work assignments to achieve expectations.
- Responsible for supporting day-to-day operations and administrative functions in the organization. Ensures timely and effective completion of administrative record keeping, meeting scheduling, office supply and equipment inventory maintenance, ordering, mail distribution and office equipment maintenance.
- Opens correspondence including labor relations mail related to confidential material prepared for collective bargaining (input for bargaining proposals from campus departments, Office of the President, Office of the General Counsel, etc.).
- Coordinates all building related issues for the organization, participates in building safety meetings as appropriate, reports and keeps on top of building issues impacting team members.
- Participates in the development, revision, drafting, editing, publication and communication of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
Communication & Administrative Duties:
- Provide communication of potential employment litigation and/or risks to legal counsel and obtain legal counsel on employment matters as needed.
- Assist with administrative responsibilities such as meeting logistics, new employee orientation, union support work, website updates, template and process updates, metrics, document preparation, and record keeping.
- Review trends and practices in labor/employee relations, and recommend programs that will enhance employee and labor relations at the university.
- Assess current functions and provide input to achieve unit best practices.
- Manage or support assignments that require research, data collection, critical thinking, analysis, communication, and reporting.
- Assist in administrative, analytical & back-up support to Employee and Labor Relations Consultants in the department.
- Serves as the logistic support person for functional areas responsible for planning and delivering training, seminars, subject matter or other meetings. The support includes: locating and reserving venues, zoom scheduling, supporting production of related materials, drafting correspondence to participants, obtaining supplies and preparing registration and class management materials, assessing and meeting audio/tech requirements, identifying and supporting presenter requirements, overseeing any catering, physically preparing the venue to support optimal learning and comfort, and creating and updating event data in the UC Learning Center (LMS) when appropriate.
- Coordinates all logistical support for all training programs of the organization.
- Reviews participant position data to prepare preliminary lists of attendees for restricted courses.
- Prepares methods of collection and collects data related to participants such as tracking attendance.
- Creates an operating plan, business processes and tools to effectively coordinate all logistical needs from design phase through implementation from initial communications to participants through follow-up evaluations.
- Works collaboratively with trainers and consultants to assess program needs and provides recommendations for improvements and collects and tracks feedback participants.
- Provides guidance and oversight to other team members on procedures, practices and often complex implementation of operations and administrative requirements of the team.
- Partners with trainers, consultants and other organization personnel to create budgets for events, handle registrations or otherwise provide administrative support related to events given or attended by members of the organization.
- Manages condition and security of any training rooms as assigned.
- Processes reimbursements for programs.
- Coordinates and tracks the calendar of annual personnel actions such as annual evaluations, stipends, CTO elections, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Balances multiple priorities and work assignments to achieve expectations
Special Projects & Training:
- Supports team or legal counsel responses related to employment litigation and government agency charges.
- Co-design and/or co-deliver training for employees, supervisors, managers, and HR Partners pertaining to employee and labor relations and related compliance (e.g., training concerning policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements, performance management, and/or applicable state and federal legal requirements).
- Independently or in collaboration with Consultants or the Director, prepare briefing memos, instructional manuals, job aids, and tool kits.
Relations with Employee Unions, Campus Business Partners, Supervisors & Employees:
- Establish and maintain positive and appropriate union/management and campus business partner relations.
- Thorough knowledge of administrative procedures and practices including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with faculty, students, staff and administrators
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn about campus policies and procedures and the campus organization.
- Excellent organizational skills to establish priorities, work independently and develop/run complex projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and ability to use sound judgment in responding quickly to issues and concerns.
- Flexibility in adjusting priorities and demonstrated initiative to seek and implement process improvements.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality related to information about the union, employees, or any information shared at any events or other functions.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with all levels of the UC Berkeley community, system-wide and with outside professionals.
- Experience in a customer service environment including skills to handle difficult and sensitive matters
- Ability to work with a moderate degree of confidentiality and independent judgment.
- Strong Skill and ability to communicate with a high level of professionalism, clarity, accuracy.
- Skills to independently manage, organize and prioritize work to achieve timely progress on simultaneous projects, distribute efforts appropriately among competing projects, meet competing deadlines, and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to actively listen, observe, identify information requested, ask questions to understand and appreciate diverse perspectives, interests, and underlying needs of others, responding appropriately to a wide variety of requests.
- Technical skill and ability to accurately utilize the MS Office suite of business software applications, Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Ability to learn, master and utilize new applications as they become available.
- High school diploma and / or equivalent certification / experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $65,000.00 - $67,900.00.
- This is a 100% full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly.
- This is a hybrid position, eligible for 75% remote capability.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=48457&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |