- Direct participation in ongoing research projects utilizing molecular biology and/or computational skills.
- Learn and carry out basic molecular/cell biology techniques such as DNA cloning, qPCR, transfection, lentivirus production to overexpress and silence gene expression in mammalian cell culture.
- Biochemical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, affinity purification, western blotting.
- Assist other researchers in making technical determinations and observations based on the research.
- Presentation of results at group meetings or in meetings with supervisor(s)
- Coordinating vendors in procurement and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Ordering/stocking laboratory supplies, preparation of lab stocks, laboratory maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in biology or closely related science and knowledge of, or experience with, the basic techniques or methods required by the position; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience/training.
- Strong computational and quantitative skills
- Prior technician experience or undertaking independent research project as an undergraduate
- Experience with basic pipetting technique, molecular cloning and culture of mammalian cells.
- Ability to independently make solutions based on molarity and % composition.
- Strong programming skills, experience with R, Python, MATLAB
- Database management experience
- Experience with microbiology, molecular biology, especially working with nucleic acids.
- Experience with protein biochemistry techniques such as expression of proteins in E. coli and analysis by SDS-PAGE or western blot.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $23.34 - $26.58, Steps 1.0 - 7.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week) career position eligible for full UC Benefits.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10541&PostingSeq=1