The Department of Medicine, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
, SUNY at Buffalo, is looking for a Clerkship Coordinator to join the team.
The Offices of Medical Education will work in collaboration with the department chairperson to oversee a faculty member who is the designated Clerkship Director. The responsibilities described below will be supported by an administrative staff member in the clerkship’s home department. Programmatic support for this position and other clerkship activities will be provided to the department by the Offices of Medical Education. The Clerkship Director will work closely with the Associate Deans for Curriculum, Associate Dean for Student and Academic Affairs, Director of Assessment, and the Office of Accreditation and Quality Improvement. This position reports directly to the Senior Associate Dean for Medical Curriculum and the Assistant Dean for Curriculum.
The Clerkship Director is responsible for planning and overseeing the educational experience, curriculum content, student assessment and program evaluation in the clerkship. Working with the Offices of Medical Education (OME) team, they will develop the clerkship structure, learning objectives, required clinical experiences, didactic curriculum, and assessments that meet the goals of the clerkship experience and the overall medical education program. Specific responsibilities include:
• Design, implement, and administer all aspects of clerkship curriculum including the clinical experiences necessary to achieve the clerkship goals and objectives as well as the required clinical diagnoses and procedures.
• Develop learning objectives and measurable learning outcomes related to the stage appropriate knowledge and skills for medical students.
• Design, implement and oversee timely collection of formative and summative assessments that measure the stated course goals and objectives.
• Orient students at all teaching sites to the clerkship and all clerkship expectations. Set the stage for a respectful and productive learning environment. Remind students regarding the multiple avenues for reporting mistreatment by faculty, house staff, and staff.
• Monitor for and ensure adherence to all Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (JSMBS) and clinical facility policies (e.g. grading, student assessment recusal, duty hours, professionalism, assessment, etc.).
• Communicate as needed with the Senior Associate Dean for Student & Academic Affairs regarding specific issues or concerns with students (e.g. professionalism, academic performance).
• Attend monthly Phase 2 Meetings with Senior Associate Dean for Medical Curriculum, Senior Associate Dean for Student & Academic Affairs, Associate Deans of Curriculum, Phase 2 Director, and other clerkship directors.
• Collaborate with other clerkship and course directors, as well as pillar/thread leaders to ensure appropriate integration of curricular content within and across the clerkships.
• Identify and recruit faculty to deliver content and assess students, both formatively and summatively, and ensure that all clinical faculty who evaluate students have faculty appointments at JSMBS.
• Identify faculty development needs and work with the Medical Education and Educational Research Institute (MEERI) to develop individual or group faculty sessions to address these needs.
• Identify faculty in need of support and remediation in their teaching roles and refer to Associate Deans for Curriculum and/or MEERI.
• Oversee and report on the quality of teaching by faculty members by carefully monitoring student evaluations, including reports of student mistreatment, and ensure that the quality of teaching is equitable across clerkship sites.
• Attend, when appropriate, lectures, small group activities, teaching rounds and other course/clerkship educational activities to monitor quality and consistency
• Oversee and report on efforts aimed at reducing bias in the learning environment and student outcomes.
• Systematically review evaluation data (including student evaluations, outcomes data, and other metrics) of individual faculty, clerkship overall, and clerkship administration.
• Make evaluation data available to faculty and Department Chairs as appropriate and provide timely feedback to faculty. (This responsibility may include identification of and remediation of unprofessional or abusive behaviors)
• Participate in annual clerkship reviews. Design and implement changes to the clerkship in response to feedback, reports, and recommendations from students, faculty, and JSMBS committees
• Ensure compliance with all JSMBS accreditation policies and procedures, and participate in Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) and other accreditation activities.Outstanding Benefits Package