The College of Arts and Sciences (College) at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, is seeking an innovative leader to serve as Director of the Center for Diversity Innovation (CDI). The CDI will design and deliver interdisciplinary research-based, data-driven diversity and inclusion best practices in education/training, hiring, workplace improvements and strategic decision making to fuel social inclusion and economic revitalization in Western New York and across New York State.
As inaugural Director of the Center for Diversity Innovation, you will:
- Lead the vision and strategy including formation, communication, and implementation. Strategies will arise from the CDI strategy team, its External Advisory Council, academic departments in the College and partner decanal units, the regional community, and the SUNY Community of Practice.
- Facilitate, encourage, and build consensus. Nurture a culture of shared goals and success, and open communication. Work closely with the CDI Strategy Team to closely integrate academic (traditional and continuing education), research, and community engagement with vision and strategies.
- Identify areas of greatest potential impact and metrics by which CDI’s success will be evaluated.
- Lead and chair the CDI Strategy Team. Serve as strategic lead for significant events such as a SUNY conference, either by directly leading them or supporting those who do.
- Develop strong community, organization, and alumni relationships in conjunction with the College, University Development, and Research and Sponsored Programs that lead to external financial support for the CDI and associated academic research.
- Prepare and manage budgets for initiatives and activities that are sponsored by the CDI, working collaboratively with the CDI Strategy Team.
- Collaborate with College and University communication professionals to establish a brand, recognition and reputation for CDI.
- Build strong relationships with community partners and organizations founded on a spirit of collaboration, mutual respect, strong communication, and synergy leading to win-win solutions and initiatives.
- In conjunction with the Strategy Team engage the full complement of UB faculty (in all academic units) with research and instructional interests relevant to CDI’s strategy. In addition, the Director will lead the search for two junior tenure-track faculty members to support CDI’s work.
The College of Arts and Sciences is a large college, with a small college feel. We are the largest academic unit at the University at Buffalo, with 27 departments and 16 academic programs, 23 centers and institutes, two art galleries, and major theater and music performance venues. We provide education and scholarship in the Liberal Arts and Sciences to the University, the Western New York community and the world at large.
Our faculty members have received Guggenheim fellowships, CAREER awards from the National Science Foundation, and recognition from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Our students are committed to scholarship and community. The undergraduate student to faculty ratio is 13:1, and many undergraduates participate in performance, research, or laboratory work with faculty members.
About the University at Buffalo: A flagship institution in the State University of New York system, UB is the largest and most comprehensive campus in the 64-campus SUNY system. A member of the Association of American Universities, UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence.