Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
International Student Advisor
Rhode Island School of Design
Job Description Summary
The International Student Advisor position reports to the Director. The Advisor is responsible for working with and supporting international students who are STEM-eligible at the Rhode Island School of Design on their STEM Optional Practical Training applications, validations, evaluations and updates.
Regulatory Compliance and Systems:
- Serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) and maintains awareness of new and existing immigration regulations and how they affect and relate to the position.
- Develops and maintains a thorough knowledge of SEVIS regulations and procedures and interprets the same. Identifies, builds, and maintains relations with SEVIS networking resources and professional associations.
- Manage a caseload of advising for the F1 visa as it relates to the 24-month STEM OPT Extension. Advise F-1 international students about relevant regulations and maintenance of I-94 status and with applying for benefits of status, primarily focusing on STEM Optional Practical Training.
- Advises on regulations, policies and processes such as: F immigration regulations, travel, SEVIS record transfers; navigating U.S. systems and processes, U.S. employment authorization (STEM OPT), and provides guidance on change of status procedures.
- During the 24-month STEM OPT Extension off-campus work authorization: Tracks & maintains SEVIS records according to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) specifications for students/scholars in F-1 immigration status and their dependents.
- Intakes and processes letter requests (driver’s license, social security, invitation letters, etc.) for students on the 24-month STEM OPT Extension.
- Monitors USCIS and DOS regulations to ensure that the University remains in compliance.
- Stays abreast of regulatory updates and changes in the field of international education, evaluates for appropriateness at RISD and implements as approved. Maintains active membership and attendance in NAFSA: Association of International Education organization.
- Collaborates with various departments to ensure a high quality of service to the international student population during the 24-month STEM OPT Extension off-campus work authorization in relation to their cultural experience as well as their immigration responsibilities. These departments include, but are not limited to, all offices within the Division of Student Affairs, Career Services, Academic Affairs, Alumni Services, and the Registrar’s Office.
International Services and Programming:
- Assists in coordinating events, programs and workshops for international students who are eligible for and who will participate in the 24-month STEM OPT Extension.
- Plans, develops and leads STEM OPT and tax workshops for international students in person, on line, via social media or on video.
- Assesses and advises students on cultural adjustment, cultural competence and differences in higher educational systems and work environments, provide additional training and resources as necessary.
- Responds to occasional crises involving international students on STEM OPT.
- Supports the Division of Student Affairs mission of supporting students in leadership, development and awareness by assisting with the planning and execution of seasonal programs and workshops in various immigration, cultural and other topical matters. Contributes to and participate in the implementation of International Student Orientation as it relates to educating incoming students about the 24-month STEM OPT Extension.
- Creates and runs SEVIS and Colleague reports and monitors all database functions in the office and compiles data for various reports, including the annual report and demographic, statistical information as it relates to the 24-month STEM OPT Extension.
- Completes data analysis for 24-month STEM OPT Extension and responds to cross-campus data inquiries, as required.
- Participates in SEVIS and ERP/CMS database testing for updates as applicable; participates in SEVP and ERP/CMS database trainings as available.
- Assures SEVIS compliance through the upkeep of RISD’s student data system. Monitors changes in student records and, when applicable, communicates changes through SEVIS to Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Assists in maintaining the OISS website for any material related to the 24-month STEM OPT.
- Represents OISS at various meetings across campus, as required.
- Serves on campus committees or task forces representing OISS as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent experience.
- One to three years’ experience with complex Federal Immigration Regulations related to student immigration, visas, and permanent residency processing.
- Demonstrated advisory experience and experience with cross cultural sensitivity.
- Must be able work independently and cooperatively within a diverse multicultural team environment.
- Must be detail oriented and be able to create and synthesize reports and correspondence.
- Advance knowledge of MS Windows platform, MS Office Suite, SEVIS, ERP/CMS and other software applications with excellent skills in database programs, tools and technology is preferred.
- Must be US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident to meet federal regulatory requirements for professional practice as Designated School Official or Alternate Responsible Officer.
Valued but not required skills and experience
- Knowledge of Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regulations and procedures desired.
- Ability to speak multiple languages and experience working or studying abroad preferred.
- Previous or current participation in NAFSA: Association of International Educators a plus.
- Experience in developing and maintaining relational database applications and with methods of transporting data across operating systems and between database applications a plus.
- Experience working or studying abroad preferred.
Part-time 20 hours per week
1 year fixed term
Documents Needed to Apply
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |