Student Legal Services offers a wide variety of legal guidance. The goal of this office is to counsel, advise, and represent currently enrolled University of North Texas students. Student Legal Services writes letters, drafts legal documents, represents students, or otherwise assists students with resolving their legal problems. Student Legal Services does not represent students in criminal matters, advise on student vs. student issues, or issues involving the University.
To provide legal assistant support services as needed by the director of SLS; to be available to serve as department representative when the director is unavailable; to prepare drafts or correspondence and legal documents; to screen incoming calls to attorneys; to prepare and maintain travel vouchers, purchase orders, purchasing card and interdepartmental orders; to assist with budget preparation and monitor and maintain office supply and asset inventory, to prepare the Student Service Fee request in order to obtain continued funding for the office. This position also requires initial public contact and handling requests for general and specific legal information and to maintain the office as an area committed to student services. The ability to train and orient student employees, create schedules and maintain timesheets for payroll; prepare sick leave and vacation requests; assist in court hearings; perform notary services; participate in office assessment.
Additional Posting Details
Bachelor’s Degree and three years of highly responsible and varied office administration or business management experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Knowledge of accounting/budgeting procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to handle multiple tasks, and to coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data of complex
nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and organize multiple programs and assignments effectively.
- Ability to work on complex and confidential tasks utilizing judgment, tact, and resourcefulness.
- Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned
- Supervisory skills.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications: * Bachelor’s degree w/ paralegal certification plus two years legal assistant experience, or Associates degree w/ paralegal certification plus two years legal assistant experience. * Complex administrative support experience: payroll, budgets, purchase orders, travel vouchers, report preparation, ext.). * Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, e-filing, and prior law office administrative experience. * Knowledge of principles and processes for providing quality customer and personal services. Knowledge of case management systems, legal research, and drafting legal forms.