Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Payroll Analyst 2 (6943U), SHARE Service Region, Berkeley Regional Services - 27320
University of California, Berkeley
Payroll Analyst 2 (6943U), SHARE Service Region, Berkeley Regional Services - 27320
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 6, 2019
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, UndergrAduate Studies, Organized Research Units REgion (SHARE) - is part of Berkeley Regional Services, within the division of the Vice Chancellor for Administration. Our mission at SHARE is simple. We aim to provide the Human Resources, Research Administration, Purchasing & Reimbursement services that departments and ORUs in our region require - in a timely and efficient manner, with minimal hand-offs and a culture of collaborative improvement.
We will work hard to establish relationships with you as well as processes and services that will create a productive environment in support of the university's mission of excellence in teaching and research.
- Communicates with department management the deadlines for approving time-sheets.
- Analyzes reported time, ensuring compliance with bargaining unit agreements, university policies and employment laws.
- Interprets transactional and other HR policies (e.g. vacation, leave of absence, disability, payroll, workers compensation, union contracts, timekeeping government regulations, withholding exemptions, et cetera), and ensures appropriate amounts/deductions are calculated and applied to the various accounts correctly.
- Reviews Caltime timekeeping system data and makes adjustments as appropriate prior to electronic transmission according to the established pay cycles.
- Processes and audits time-sheets.
- Uses knowledge of department organization and chart of accounts to ensure accurate pay.
- Makes entries in applicable systems including leave usage and leave without pay and payroll transfers.
- Ensures compliance with applicable policies and laws regarding payroll and timekeeping.
- With little supervision, provides analysis of moderate payroll projects.
- Applies timekeeping and/or payroll concepts to perform complex analysis regarding pay processing adjustments, including retroactive pay, tax withholding, over-payments, and complex terminal pay issues.
- Applies professional concepts in analyzing and reviewing department payroll actions appearing on over-payment/underpayment reports to determine processing errors.
- Analyzes complex HR processes, data, systems and resource projects working directly with the HR Generalists and HR Partners.
- Assists departments with questions concerning eligibility, enrollment, and payment issues.
- Interprets pay policies (for example, vacation, leave of absence, disability, workers compensation, union contracts, government regulations)
- Identifies and analyzes reconciliation of payroll liability accounts.
- Provides background information to higher level Payroll Analysts for resolution.
- Conducts payroll transfers to other departments and campuses.
- Reviews and analyzes reports for discrepancies, and works with departments to make corrections.
- Conducts system and process analysis to determine the need for further enhancements, finer distinctions and/or additional process/policy components.
- Provides employees and department supervisors/managers with standard information regarding University policies, bargaining unit agreements.
- Ensures best practices are followed in department and timekeeping/Payroll procedures.
- Identifies risks and reports issues to management as appropriate.
General HR Support:
- May assist HR professionals with advanced HR processes and procedures, such as coordinating worker's compensation, FMLA, disability and other leaves of absences, administering life-cycle personnel actions such as probationary evaluations, new employee benefits enrollments, and other actions as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge HR/payroll practices and procedures.
- Skill in managing sensitive and confidential information regarding bargaining unit issues
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Interpersonal skills, service orientation, active listening skills and strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Working knowledge of many payroll processes, policies and procedures, knowledge of campus-specific computer application programs.
- Advanced knowledge of HR processes for data entry into timekeeping and payroll systems.
- Advanced knowledge of HR processes and procedures for maintenance and purging of timekeeping and payroll files.
- Intermediate knowledge of benefits eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of common human capital management systems, timekeeping, payroll and HR application programs and software.
- Possesses analytical, critical thinking, reasoning, judgement and decision-making skills.
- Problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills especially in the areas of timekeeping and payroll.
- Experience in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Ability to work rapidly and accurately under deadline pressure and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience auditing timekeeping records or HRIS transactions.
- Knowledge of campus processes and procedures.
- Understanding of campus rules and regulations.
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $25.38 - $27.78.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27320&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |