Customer Service Representative (4723C) 5621
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness, personal skills and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community. By providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity for cooperative and competitive play, Recreational Sports teaches life-long fitness skills, leadership, management, interpersonal skills, and helps to balance the stress of studying and working in a rigorous academic environment. Visit us at https://recsports.berkeley.edu/
- Membership: provide customers with information concerning Membership types, process payments for memberships and process CRC photo ID Membership Cards. Provide facility tours as needed.
- Passport: provide passport customers with application forms, answer questions, and ensure customers submit complete applications and pay correct fees. Administer the passport oath to customers and witness customers' signatures on applications. Forward all applications and documents to Passport Services for further processing.
- Enrollment: set-up and maintain online store, website, and program binders. Set-up and maintain waiting lists, process camp/class/clinic enrollments, and send out receipts, confirmations, and program information. Generate program reports for review and use by program managers and directors. Respond to non-routine patron requests for refunds, payment issues, transfers, special requests, etc., and work with the Customer Service Manager to resolve these issues. Assist with editing brochure and submitting changes to the department's Media/Communications Manager.
- Cashier: operate cash register, Point of Sale Program, Fusion, and on-line sales. Process cash, check and/or charge payments. Adhere strictly to University Cash Handling Policy's. Reconcile and balance cash in preparation for deposit.
- Appointment Services: assist patrons in the use of the on-line scheduling systems. Schedule appointments as needed.
- Rec Programs: have a thorough knowledge of all Recreational Sports Department programs and provide accurate information and referrals to customers and members.
- Facilities: have a working knowledge of all recreation facilities and program assignments, as well as program schedules and use of EMS Master Calendar to search scheduling detail.
- Serve as a point person for a critical area such as Passports, Enrollments (i.e. CYOP Camp, FitWELL, CalAdv), CalStar, Appointment Services, CRC Membership.
- Phone: answer promptly using standard department salutation.
- Email: answer e-mail correspondence within 24 hours.
- Assist walk-up patrons: prioritize walk up customer needs over phone and email.
- Problem-solve: customer and program issues that impact sales and registration.
- Adhere to unit dress guidelines of business casual dress attire.
- As the front-line representative for all program and membership questions, this position plays a key role in sales and customer relations.
- Data entry: process program and project information, both routine and by special request, into database systems.
- Photos and membership cards: process passport photos and new/replacement membership cards using electronic imaging equipment.
- Refunds: prepare forms and reports for final signatures and processing.
- Reports: generate routine and special request reports as assigned.
- Service requests: submit purchasing, maintenance, and computer requests per department protocol and procedures.
- Work a flex schedule to meet customer flow and demand; seasonal peak periods.
- Open & close office. Maintain a clean and orderly work area. Maintain necessary supplies and forms/brochures. Inform Customer Service Manager when supplies are needed.
- Provide program information to other guest services units (Locker Rooms, Hearst Service desk, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned by Rec Operations and Customer Service Center manager.
- Maintain annual certification as US Passport Representative.
- Assist with training student cashiers on the operations at two satellite locations, the Golden Bear Recreation Center & Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area.
- Familiarity with adult, youth, and outdoor program clientele and environment.
- Must have knowledge in computer skills including MicroSoft Word, Excel, Filemaker Pro, Fusion; passport processing; intranet; basic accounting skills (to compute discounts).
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing, ability to multi task, ability to accomplish work tasks in a stressful and fast-paced environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Department and University policies regarding all recreation program and sales transaction related procedures and processes.
- US Government Passport Agent Certification or the ability to acquire certification upon hire.
- Regional Passport Agency certification or the ability to acquire certification upon hire.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time (30 hours/week), limited appointment position through July 31, 2020.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5621&PostingSeq=1