Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Lead Custodian (5102C) 8781
University of California Berkeley
Lead Custodian (5102C) 8781
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/31/2020
As a national collegiate leader, University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited medical and mental health care, education, a major medical insurance plan, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services.
Under the supervision of the Facility Manager, the Custodian Lead in addition to regular custodial tasks, performs the daily walkthrough of the exterior and interior of the facility and makes suggestions for needs of the building. Assist with the daily coordination of work assignments, service requests and serve as a lead to the custodial team for the UHS. The Custodian Leader's responsibilities include training custodial staff in all aspects of custodial duties. Must demonstrate the proper use of all custodial equipment and cleaning solutions. Issues supplies and equipment. Inspects employees work zone daily assignments and must complete periodic safety inspections of equipment to ensure all equipment is functioning properly. Maintains established custodial performance standards. Performs related custodial duties as assigned.
Daily operations and Lead Custodial Responsibilities
Biohazardous Waste Handling
- Cleans offices, hallways, staff kitchens, clinical exam rooms, practitioner offices, stairwells and other areas of the building as assigned. Collect trash and safely remove the material to the designated collection containers. Empty medical waste containers and sharps containers safely, replace proper liners and transport with secondary plastic marked liners to the designated medical waste storage area. Duties include washing walls, mirrors, windows, office partitions, floors, stairwell railings, waste containers and office furniture using appropriate cleaning solutions. Replace fluorescent lamps and collect used lamps in recycling containers. Duties also include removing graffiti and cleaning exterior hardscape as well as assisting in maintaining storage areas both on and off site. Sweep exterior walkways, office spaces, hallways and atrium and keep clean from debris during the day.
- Using appropriate tools, sweep floors, mop, strip ,seal and wax floors and apply spray buffing compounds. Must utilize all janitorial equipment such as; wet/dry vacuums, rug extractors, high pressure washers, steam generators, vacuum cleaners, sprayers, buffers, furniture moving equipment and safely use ladders from three to twelve feet. Maintain and clean all carpets by utilizing carpet extraction equipment and sprayers as well as ability to properly mix the necessary chemicals.
- Maintain bathroom facilities in a sanitary and orderly condition. Must clean fixtures using appropriate cleansers, sweep floors, clean sinks, replace paper products which includes toilet tissue, seat covers as well as resupply hand soap. Polish water fountains as necessary. Must maintain custodial carts organized and clean on a daily basis.
- Opens the facility daily, walks the exterior and interior of the building, inspects buildings and grounds, reviews the previous work of the night crew and works with night shift custodian lead to discuss concerns, areas that need attention and review projects and assignments and/or remedy any issues found. Reports need assessments to and works with the facility manager in determining issue resolutions and recommends if additional training is needed. Escalate problems and/or safety concerns i.e. all doors, floors and inform supervisor. Identifies critical equipment needs during morning review of the building alerting the facility manager for additional investigation. Review project timelines with facility supervisor, working directly with night shift custodian lead to complete necessary building projects as needed. Working with the Facilities Manager, assists with urgent minor repairs to building and small installation projects. Under supervision, handles the daily service request needs, completes tasks during the day and works with the night lead to coordinate outstanding requests and night tasks. Orders, receives and stocks all necessary custodial supplies in appropriate utility rooms for the night shift. Performs related duties as requested by unit manager, may perform related custodial duties as assigned. Custodian during relief or emergency periods.
- Empty waste containers of biohazard materials and safely remove to the designated collection area during the day.. Replace fluorescent bulbs and batteries and place used bulbs in recycling containers and batteries in containers for pick up by EHS.. Maintain restrooms and supplies and ensure facilities are in a clean, orderly and sanitary condition. Cleaning of specialized areas, such as laboratory, pharmacy, minor procedures, and proper handling and disposing of medical waste. Replace sharp containers. Inspects and corrects the cardboard, compost and bio hazardous materials in the loading dock area.
Special projects and report coordination
- Trains custodial staff in the use of all custodial equipment, cleaning products and cleaning methods to ensure the most efficient use of material and staff time. Must effectively demonstrate ability to operate industrial type janitorial equipment. Assist in maintaining custodial supplies and equipment by cleaning and promptly reporting any malfunction equipment. Submit UHS requisitions for the purchasing of all custodial equipment and supplies. Organize and issues, supplies and equipment to custodial staff and maintains custodial storerooms in an organized manner.
- Trains and works closely with custodial staff until fully trained in the following areas:
- Medical Waste Handling
- Equipment Usage and Care
- Carpet & Upholstery Maintenance
- Stripping and Waxing
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Zone assignments
- On a quarterly basis, retrieve biotrack medical waste statements from Stericycle and submit originals to Supervisor and/or EH&S, and maintain reference copies in binder. In coordination with the facility manager, organize and complete the annual summer cleaning projects of the facility.
- Communicates all building visitors performing work within the building to team, supervisor and night lead if necessary.
- In conjunction with other custodians, move heavy furniture, cabinets, desks, examination tables, bookcases,etc, when needed. Use of 3', 6', 8' and 12' ladders.
- Inspect custodial equipment including wet/dry vacuums, buffers, furniture moving equipment, high pressure washers, steam cleaners, vacuum blowers and carpet extractors and discuss any issues with the facility manager for recommended remedies.
- Previous custodial experience and advanced understanding of custodial duties and assignments
- Ability to operate industrial type custodial equipment, wet/dry vacuums, standard buffers, high speed buffers, furniture moving equipment, high pressure washers, steam cleaners, vacuum blowers and carpet extractors.
- Ability to use 3', 6', 8' and 12' ladders
- Ability to lift 50 lbs., medium to heavy equipment
- Experience with proper disposal of biohazardous materials
- Ability to follow through on assignments and assignments of team without direction
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to adhere to work schedule
- Demonstrated excellent attendance
- Attention to detail
- Leadership ability
- Experience as work leader or supervisor
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8781&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |