Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Turf Specialist (8096C), Intercollegiate Athletics - 34411
University of California, Berkeley
Turf Specialist (8096C), Intercollegiate Athletics - 34411
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking two Turf Specialists who will work within the department's Facilities unit.
The Turf Specialist works independently maintaining and preparing sports and recreation field and court venues. The incumbent has extensive experience and skills in high performance turf maintenance, repair and maintenance of irrigation systems, event preparation and support, field marking and equipment operation. The incumbent has knowledge of the full breadth of outdoor sports surfaces, specific athletic program needs, Pac 12 and NCAA rules, and utilizes the information to provide high quality and high profile service and support. The incumbent also has specialized training in horticultural techniques which contribute to the growth and maintenance of plant material free from disease and undesirable elements. The incumbent has strong knowledge and skills in the installation and maintenance of irrigation systems. In the absence of supervisory staff, the Turf Specialist can coordinate and lead work crews.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 5, 2022
A. High Performance Turf and Field Maintenance
- Maintain grass sports fields ranging from high performance turf to recreational "park" turf. Mow, fertilize, seed, aerate, verticut, edge, weed, and grade. Implement preventive and ongoing maintenance schedules based upon type of turf, soil, irrigation and drainage, micro-climate (e.g., Witter Field vs. Goldman) as well as turf conditions related to soil nutrients, fungus, pests, etc. Maintenance schedules include daily mowing and irrigation and periodic aeration, fertilization, etc. Prepare and maintain high-performance synthetic rubber infill surfaces to a high standard. Adjusting practices to maintain surface grades and remove large and fine debris with dedicated specialized sweeping equipment. Manage high capacity irrigation systems to adjust surface temperatures for practice and competition. Remove and sterilize localized contaminants. Prepare soil surfaces utilized in baseball, softball or track & field venues. Blend the appropriate mixture of sand, clay, and other soils to provide suitable surface in areas such as pitcher's mound, home plate, long jump pit, etc. Wet, scarify, drag, etc. on regular basis. Broom clean seams (grass meets turf) to prevent build-up and untrue playing surface. Develop and execute plans for field repair. Repair and revive damaged turf through divot replacement, overseeding, removal of dead grass and sod. Carry out seasonal re-construction of worn areas through turf removal (demolition), rototilling, addition of soil amendments, grading, and installation of plant material (seed or sod). Operate field equipment including ride on mowers, tractor, roller, sweeper, etc. Operate all ride-on and hand held power equipment required for the maintenance, renovation and repair of collegiate facilities. Including professional reel and rotary mowers, tractors and implements, sweepers, utility vehicles etc. Also Forklifts and Aerial lifts as necessary to maintain facilities and prepare for events. Apply pesticides through Backpack and/or Boom spray applications to control weed, insect and fungal problems with supervisory direction. Repair and maintain irrigation systems including the control box, circulation pipes, drain pipes, valves, and heads. Clean valve boxes, complete head adjustments, and maintain level surface around heads.
B. Event and Competition Preparation
- Prepare competition and practice venues. Play surfaces include grass, synthetic turf, tennis courts, and soil areas. Survey and line fields for competition and practice. Utilize chalk and/or paint depending upon surface (grass, synthetic turf, soil). Adjust field marking as necessary to reduce wear. Paint end zones, logos (e.g. script CAL, Pac 12, NCAA logos) through use of stencils and grids. Prepare grasses according to weather conditions and coach's specifications. Adjust irrigation, mowing, and other maintenance schedules to meet optimum play or practice conditions. Prepare soil areas for game and practice. Wet, scarify, and drag as requested. Adjust playing surfaces during games (baseball/softball drag, sod squad). Prepare spectator areas including clean up of bleachers, restrooms, and other amenities. Police areas for refuse and litter. Vacuum or blow hardscape. Provide logistical support to television or radio crews. Serve as liaison with external groups conducting events at various facilities. Meet with organizers and execute plans for set-up, takedown and the event. Transport Field and Sports Equipment between venues using Flatbed trucks as needed.
C. Landscape And Turf Maintenance
- Perform general landscape tasks for both athletic and recreation areas (Golden Bear, Strawberry Canyon, RSF, Haas Pavilion, Evans Diamond, Edwards Track). Work includes planting, weeding, cultivation, ground cover pruning, vine and shrub pruning, mulching, leaf pick-up, tree trimming (up to 25 feet), brush pick-up and chipping, mowing, edging, and blowing clippings off landscape. Clean drain covers and catch basins. Hillside maintenance including brush, weed cutting, and litter pick-up. Pick up and remove litter and debris. Empty trash boxes and remove posters, flyers, and graffiti from structures and facilities on a daily basis. Vacuum, blow, clean up, paint, and remove graffiti on astroturf and tennis courts.
D. Exterior Facility Maintenance Work and Recordkeeping
- Minor repairs to fences, gates, chains, picnic tables, benches, storage cabinets, pool equipment, and fountains. Repair and/or replace equipment items such as sport nets, goals, etc. Maintain tools and equipment in clean safe manner and log all use as required.
- Ensure safe working conditions and implement health and safety policies, and as appropriate, personnel policies in the daily work setting. Communicate with other staff and the general public in a professional manner, and be a positive public relations influence for the unit and the entire department. Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working and maintaining sports fields, golf courses, public parks, landscaping, etc. Experience operating grounds and landscape equipment such as mowers, weed trimmers, blowers, etc. Ability to perform institutional landscape/outdoor area maintenance.
- Experience maintaining high performance turf and sports fields. Knowledge and experience in repairs and maintenance of irrigation systems. Experience in event preparation and athletic program support. Knowledge and experience in field layout and striping. Working knowledge of Pac 12 and NCAA rules as applied to competition turf and venue regulations. Experience working in a fields/grounds position at another University.
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=34411&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |