Provides services that enhance disabled students' access to and participation in academic and student life activities. Provides and/or arranges for mobility, access, note taking, tutoring, and testing support services.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Disability Services Associate is in a career ladder designed for program support to students with disabilities. Advancement to Adaptive Media Specialist would be based on need, require compliance with the job qualifications including three years as an Associate, the ability to perform the essential functions of the position, and demonstrate an ability to assess disabilities, perform substantive instructional support, use of assisted devices, and advocacy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Provides for, and/or coordinates accommodations that enhance access to curriculum, services, and facilities for students with disabilities.
* Facilitates testing accommodations for disabled students by scheduling and proctoring tests, preparing or arranging for modifications of testing instruments to enhance students' ability to complete tests.
* Proctors a variety of standardized tests used for pre-qualifying students as well as quizzes and exams requiring following instructor directions and requirements, allowing for accommodation/modification, and maintaining proper security and privacy.
* Serves as, or arranges for note-takers, readers, and other services to assist disabled students in classrooms, laboratories, and other learning environments. Assists with recruiting of note-takers.
* Documents activities of the office including, but not limited to, calls, attendance, scheduling appointments, walk-in visits, tests, tutoring, and counseling.
* Compiles summaries and statistics on reasonable accommodations provided to students. Prepares charts and illustrations describing level, types, patterns, and trends of activity.
* Provides information to, and assists students with on-and-off campus registration. Arranges for accommodations that enable and encourage disabled students to participate in curricular, co-curricular, and social activities that relate to the student's enrollment and are part of student life.
* Serves as a resource for disabled students to make connections for resources and services that can help enhance self-confidence and contribute to student engagement.
* Assists students in obtaining academic and/or personal counseling as well as tutoring. Tutors (or arranges for) disabled students individually and/or in small groups in class or lab environments to develop skills in reading, writing, grammar, speaking, mathematics, and vocational areas.
* Provides assistance in the use of equipment and materials needed for instruction as well as orienting students to the laboratory. Sets up established laboratory and/or alternative learning experiences for students as required by course outline, faculty direction, or Student Education Plan.
* Prepares and/or modifies from instructor's copy, exams and homework that accommodate disabled students, using specialized computer-aided software.
* May conduct research of availability and cost of equipment and materials that could enhance student access, accommodation, and productivity. Prepares orders with proper approvals and procedures.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends in the field as well as legislation affecting the nature and scope of services provided.
* Attends community presentations and meetings to give information about the program and the College's capabilities to prospective students.
* Provides research and input to the budget development process and monitors approved expense budgets.
* Prepares periodic reports in compliance with College and funding authority requirements on program activity.
* Participates in the recruitment and selection of students, temporary help, and volunteers that provide accommodation, tutoring, and support to disabled students.
* May provide oversight and work direction to hourly and student workers.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.